Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag MisFire
 Login/Join

posted
Today I was unloading my 2003 Super Grade Model 70 300. Win Mag and it fired when I lifted the bolt. I had a guy clean the bolt, take it down and put it back. I have only shot the gun once after that. I reached under the gun to release the bullets, when the door opened I held my hand over the trap so the shells would not fall on the ground, I then reached with my right hand lifted the bolt and it fired. Scary to say the least. I think the safety was in the middle position. Any one have any thoughts. SB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Provided the gun is stock and un-altered, the rifle would not have fired with the safety in the middle position. The Winchester 3 position safety is designed to engage, retract and physically block the forward movement of the firing pin when it's in it's middle position.

Having the gun fire when you raise the bolt handle on the Winchester means that the safety was off, and that the cocking piece was hanging by a thread on the trigger's sear. Who worked on the trigger?

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The same guy adjusted the trigger to 4.5 lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveByrd:
The same guy adjusted the trigger to 4.5 lbs.

As far as trigger assembly's go, the Winchester trigger is about as simple and reliable as they come. Even at that, a trigger is one area of a firearm, where you don't want any amateurs messing around. Let a gunsmith take a look... Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote