New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing Chambers?
 Login/Join

<.>
posted
Varmint Al polishes everything he owns with Flitz. He's a structural engineer and gets really tight groups, so I think maybe he's onto something.

He recommends polishing chambers. Essentially putting a swab with Flitz in the chamber and polishing up to reduce the coefficient of friction between the case and the chamber wall. This is supposed to reduce case distortion in the base because it allows the case to butt up firmly against the bolt head during firing rather than being "gripped" by the chamber wall.

Makes sense to me. I just wonder how polished the chamber is to begin with, and if anyone else has ever considered polishing their chamber?

Reason I ask is because I have a gun being rechambered to .223 Ackley and wonder about "finishing" the chamber when I get it back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did polish some rifles with Flitz, even the bore, but I didn't compare any change in accuracy.

Flitz don't remove much metal so you don't have to worry too much, but it still "round out" sharp corners pretty fast.

What I did is simply put Flitz on DIFFERENT SIZES of patches on DIFFERENT SIZES of slotted jags, and rotate them in the camber. By using patches and jags of different sizes you get to work on different sections of chamber walls(Since most chambers are tapered), Ackley Improveds are kinda straight bodied, never owned one, dunno if my method will work out for you. I kept my hand pressure stable and count the number of rotations to keep result consistant.

Don't polish chromed chamber or bore though, Chrome plating is very thin.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotek:
I did polish some rifles with Flitz, even the bore, but I didn't compare any change in accuracy.

Hi at all,

could you please tell me, what "Flitz" is and if there is a possibility to get it over to Europe?

Thanks

------------------
Guns can save lives - maybe your�s.
Max

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Max-
The compound is "Made in Germany" so it must be available over there. Perhaps it is sold under another brand name?
Flitz is a opaque white metal polish that is sold either in a tube, and has the consistency of gritty toothpaste; or it's sold in a squeeze bottle, and has the consistency of gritty liquid soap.
Maybe it really is toothpaste or shampoo for you Deutschelanders. Report back when you find it overthere.

Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Try Simichrome Polish. It also is German, and absolutely excellent, probably superior to Flitz.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hunting Max you have a better product over there than flitz. Wenol Metallpflege.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
Hi at all,

thanks for the answers. I will check it out, where to get it and come back to you. But I will defenitely not brush my teeth with it.

------------------
Guns can save lives - maybe your�s.
Max

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use FLITZ for "everything" too.

Polish out your sizing die with it and see how much easier it resizes cases.

I put some Hoppes # 9 Bench Rest in my rifle bores, let it set for 10 minutes, and then give them 10 swipes with flitz on a patch.

It really cleans up a bore nicely. Follow with a couple dry patches.

On new barrels, I give a new bore 50 to 100 strokes with Flitz before I fire the first shot.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote