Find
Notify
Tools

Gene Simillion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Does Gene Simillion sit in one of the lofty seats alongside the likes of Echols and Penrod when it comes to the M70? Does anyone own a Simillion M70 they could post pics of and discuss?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would rank Gene among the best. Many years ago he built me a Pre-64 and a Model 52. They were among the nicest rifles I have ever owned. His work is first rate and I do not feel that you could do better.

"There is a bloody brave little animal called the honey badger in Africa. It may be the meanest animal in the world. It kills for malice and for sport, and it does not go for the jugular-it goes straight for the groin. It has a hell of a lot in common with the modern American woman."
Robert Ruark-The Honey Badger
SGB7x57@Gmail.com
360-918-8283
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
WANT TO RETURN TO AFRICA CLUB Life Member

Posts: 187 | Location: Olympia, Wa | Registered: 31 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gene did the metal work on these two rifles, and it is top notch:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, charlie. whose bottom metal and triggers are those?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both have factory triggers with the levers reshaped. The gray stocked rifle has Blackburn metal and the tan stocked rifle has Sound Metal Products metal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks again. calibers?

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Gents:

Does Gene Simillion sit in one of the lofty seats alongside the likes of Echols and Penrod when it comes to the M70? Does anyone own a Simillion M70 they could post pics of and discuss?

Thanks,

Jeff

Yes. He and Mark actually collaborate on projects quite a bit.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Gene and his work are top shelf!

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gene has done three rebarrel jobs for me, on pre-64 70's and all are top shelf in every way. A 300 H&H, 35 Whelan, and a 375 H&H, all exremely accurate.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you take those long pictures? I like how they are big enough to really show the detail.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes he is in the same league as both smiths you mentioned. Mark does not do wood stocks only metal and synthetic.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Jeff, Steven Dodd Hughes features two rifles that Gene Semillion worked on in his excellent book, Custom Rifles in Black and White.

One is a Winchester Model 52 that was a collaboration with stockmaker Steve Billeb. It is the ne plus ultra of Model 52s, IMHO, and Semillion's metal work is ingenious.

The other is a Model 70 in .375 H&H Mag. The .375 is entirely Semillion's work. Superb in every way.

From these and other Semillion rifles I have seen, I would have to say that Gene Semillion is a truly gifted craftsman.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote