Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken case head
 Login/Join

posted
I broke a case head off at the range the other day in a M1A and the next cartridge was slammed into the remaining case in the chamber.

I have a broken case extractor ordered from Numrich, but in the meantime am trying to get it out using other methods, the most aggresive of which was to force lead slugs down the bore form the muzzle in hopes it would fetch up and take the case out with it. NO LUCK

I hope these broken case extractors REEEEEALLY work cuz it seems to be stuck fast.

Failing that..........What next??

Thanks.......SC

Posts: 17 | Location: SJ, NB, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frist spray a good lube down the barrel let it sit for a day. I would the take a tap of the right size turn that into the case. Then take a brass rod that well fit into the neck and get it a tap or two should pop right out. even better take a bore size brass rod turn the case end down a bit so only that well fit into the neck.

Posts: 19447 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what pdog said... only wait for the BSE to make it, and then wipe the inside of the case with acetone or the like, to degrease...

you CAN NOT get it out by beating on it, so just relax on that...

jeffe

Posts: 38632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Put a new 45 cal brush on a rod, push it into the body of the case, then reverse directions. 99.9% of the time it will come right out.

Don

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I guess I fall into the 0.1% catagory. I'll just wait for the tool to come in.

Thanks...........SC

Posts: 17 | Location: SJ, NB, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
open the action, barrel pointing down, and drop an old bullet into the case. mix up some epoxy and spoon it in behind the bullet, let it harden, then knock it out with a cleaning rod.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Do what Don said, it works 99% of the time..Just run a 45 or 50 cal, bronze brush in the chamber and pull it out, the case will come out I suspect...

Posts: 41998 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not being too familiar with M1A's, I am wondering how one would:
(1) run a tap into the case
and (2) put a 45 cal brush on a rod and insert it...maybe if the rod was bent?

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Ok, so it'd have to be a short rod, or you'd have to screw the brush onto the rod after passing the rod in through the muzzle. The latter is the way I put all patches and brushes in mine.

I have never stuck a case in my M1A and I've shot thousands of rounds.

I'd be leery of gluing or screwing anything hard into this situation. If the brush does not get it out, take it to a 'smith.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Put a new 45 cal brush on a rod, push it into the body of the case, then reverse directions. 99.9% of the time it will come right out. Don

Hey Jim, Don was on the "right track", but I think he might be headed in the wrong direction for the M1A.

Run the Cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle until it exits the chamber, screw the 45cal brush on, pull the brush into the case so the bristles are reversed and then push that case out.

I've never had to use Kroil or Liquid Wrench between the broken case and chamber when using the above method, but I'd try that before sticking an Easy-Out in it. With my luck, I'd get that stuck too!

Hey SuperCub, I'd guess you realize it is past time to do the REAL OLD " L " shaped Feeler Gauge in the case trick to check for Incipient Casehead Separations. All semi-autos are bad about this and it is just a part of the Reloading Process for them.

Using Military Cases always helped me extend the Case usage time too.

Be sure to check the Chamber for any small "pits" or roughness which might have been created by Flame Cutting at the time of Case separation. You can generally do this with a "Paper Patch"(Bounty Paper Towel, Blue Paper Shop Towel, Wife's/Girlfriend's hose etc.) wrapped around that same 45cal brush after the case is out. If you do feel something, you will need to address it or it could cause Stovepipes or Torn Rims. With a bit of luck on your part, this will not be an issue though.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replys........

Here is an update.

Done the "brush thing"-----> No luck.

I have done the epoxy in the chamber trick before on a 375H&H and it worked fine, but the problem here is that the case is broken off almost half way up------> No luck.

I pushed a 30cal (oversized in a vice)lead slug through the bore hoping it would catch the case mouth on the way through-----> No luck.

Because the case is broke off so far up, I don't want to get in there with a tap. I sort of tried it already, a bit, but didn't want to push it as the case wall are fairly thin that far up on the cartridge------> No luck.

I ordered a broken case extractor from Numrich yesterday. Will have to wait for that. If that doen't work, it will be off to the gunsmith, which is a pain cuz it will have to be mailed away. No one here does that sort of work.

I will update.

Thanks..........SC

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
SC,

While you are waiting for the tool, try freezing the case with Freezit spray or propane or dry ice summat and quickly do the brush trick again.

Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

SC,

While you are waiting for the tool, try freezing the case with Freezit spray or propane or dry ice summat and quickly do the brush trick again.

Hey Don, Excellent suggestion!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good idea!.....I'll try that.

Thanks.........SC

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Even a blind pig finds a nut every now 'n then.

Probably a waste of time - but not too dangerous.