Find
Notify
Tools

If I had a hammer...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I need a good gunsmithing hammer. These POS brass/plastic hammers from Midway come with loose heads and brittle plastic; where can a get one that will last?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Brownells in 1992.

Still giveing quite the lickin.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
TMT I got my first hammer from Brownells in 1978 & finally wore it plumb out last year & had to buy another from Brownells. I probably won't need to buy another one. Frowner

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I can't tell if you want brass, or plastic/rubber. I you want brass, I bought a "Grace" brand gunsmith's hammer from Bob Brownell in 1960 and am still using it. I believe Brownell's still stocks them.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've seen the Grace hammers, but what I was hoping to find was one with both brass and plastic faces.

Maybe I need two hammers?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vaughan makes the plastic/rubber hammer for sears, I have one and I like it. grace brass hammers and mattuck copper hammers are great too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LIXIE hammers.

You'll have to make your own brass face, but I have used these hammers for over 16 years and they are "tough" to "beat" Smiler

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the title to this post has that damn song running through my head for a hour now

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Here are 7 of my favorite hammers. They are depicted laying on the floor because that is where they usually wind up. Big Grin All of them!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+3 on Brownells. Mine dates from the early '80s and ought to last me at this rate...