New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod. 70 Featherweight barrel work on a
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an older (2002-era) Win Mod. 70 Black Shadow. Barrel contour looks to be about a #3. I'd like to pick up a factory wood stock for it but was wondering if the featherweight stock would need to be sanded down to fit the barrel? And, if sanded, would it be too flimsy and/or thin to use off of sticks/bi-pod/sand bags?

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the FWT stock you buy. If you buy the FWT stock that is inlet for the magnum cartridges your barreled action should be close to a drop in fit. The M70 FWT magnum rifle use the standard sporter contour and not the same contour as the standard .30-06 or .270 FWT rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I agree with what Taylorce1 said and to add to it even if you had to open the barrel channel a bit the Featherweight stock is not flimsy or flexible.
Try CDNN they usually have Winchester factory stocks in their inventory.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was looking at the one's on CDNN. I just wanted to be sure I didn't end up with a splinter fore end after sanding out the channel.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I understand you right, you're going to try to sand a stock barrel channel out to fit a larger barrel? That's hard to do and make it come out even close to fitting, and even harder to make it come out looking good AND fitting right.

The normal procedure is to use chisels and scrapers to re-inlet the stock to fit the larger barrel. Much more precise and ultimately, better way to open up the barrel channel. Not too terribly hard to do, but the technique needs to be right to get good results.

You might do a google search for inletting a rifle barrel and see how it's done properly. You'll be a lot more likely to get good results if you approach it that way.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
And on the other side could one take a standard sporter barrel and refit a featherweight stock to work or would the balance be all off?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote