New
Find
Notify
Tools

toothpaste for cleaning fouled barrels
 Login/Join

<graff>
posted
Good day, gentlemen. Do any of you have experience/information about using common toothpaste as a cleaning substance for heavily fouled barrels? Question is: A neglected rifle barrel (10 years of no care/cleaning, shooting jacketed plus casts) + very light bore pitting + unavaliability of JB compound and the likes where I live.
The barrel was cleaned (partially) with Hoppe's Benchrest, phosphor-bronze brushes, patches. Very light pitting is seen with a magnifying glass, unnoticeable with naked eye, but looking along the bore, it is shiny but not mirrorsmooth, making one think there are patches of foul along it.
Thank you.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've seen it mentioned several places, but not played with it myself. Can't imagine it could hurt.

You might be able to find a product called "Flitz metal polish", a German product that is used all over the world. Blue and silver tube. It is a little bit more aggressive than J.B.'s, but I prefer it.

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Graf,

email me your address in Brazil. I will send you some JBs.

Mike

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ordinary toothpaste has no abrasive, so it wouldn't be of much help. Some brands of "whitening" tooth paste have a mild abrasive which would possibly "scrub" and polish a fouled bore. If it feels gritty in your mouth, then maybe it will clean your barrel.

An old-fashioned household cleaner called Bon Ami used to be popular as a bore cleaner. I don't know if it's even still made.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote