New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need advice. Would it be better to send out a factory trigger and get a trigger job done for around $35.oo or get a replacement Timney Trigger. Thanks in advance

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO I would either adjust the Remington myself or purchase the Jewell trigger,none finer. The factory trigger is easy to adjust and adjusts for sear engagement, over travel and weight of pull. Pleas see the link to triggers posted below under trigger pull.

Good luck.

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the guy doing the work with the rem-trigger will take it apart and look for imperfection's and set it where you want the pull and you can trust him, do that. My Sendero had all the problems, bolt stop linkage bent, trigger went up to a 6 1/2lb pull on forth pull from 4lbs when checked with my scale. It had burrs and was not smooth the G-Smith said-Rem-Repair shop. He also noticed the barrel was setting in the stock crooked and fixed all the above, plus recrowned the end of the barrel cause it looked like it had been done with a dull drill bit. Brand new gun--Now wondering about getting a Sako extractor for it. But the trigger is just perfect Now. Guess the real question is you're gun pretty new or well used, as to the timney trigger?

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
4bambam,
If there is something wrong with your remington extractor by all means replace it with a Sako style. If there is nothing wrong don't fix it. There ain't a damn thing wrong with a remington extractor.

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
OldGuns,

I had Neill Jones work on a factory Remington M700 trigger years ago, and it works wonderfully and has stayed constant over the years. This is a hunting rifle, and it breaks at 2.5 pounds as I asked him to set.

Price then was about what you mention, but I don't know what he charges now.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of RifleDude
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Need advice. Would it be better to send out a factory trigger and get a trigger job done for around $35.oo or get a replacement Timney Trigger. Thanks in advance

Oldguns,

Here's a website explaining how to adjust the Remington 700 trigger. If I were you, I'd try this first before laying out more peso's for a new trigger. The Remington trigger is realy a pretty good one, once adjusted properly.
Rem Trigger

good luck,

RifleDude

Posts: 9 | Location: South of Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wont give advice on trigger adjustment.Look for the information and you can do it yourself.Bye a trigger scale and some blue loc-tight.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
I used the steps rifledude posted and got my trigger on my 700 alot better then it was. its no 2oz comp trigger but its good enough for a newbie like me.

follow the steps and take your time. its really easy once you get the feel for what screw does what.

also dont skip the drop and bolt slam tests. do it till you are sure the trigger is safe then do it a few more times.

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing that is not dealt with in that link on the Remington trigger is burrs. I have a 721 that would occasionally drop the firing pin when the bolt was closed. I noticed that the slack movement of the trigger was very stiff. I pulled the trigger off the action, drove out the trigger pivot pin and removed the trigger from the housing. It showed scratches on the trigger lever near the pin hole. I found a large burr on the inside of the housing by the hole. I took a small file and dressed the inside surfaces of the housing smooth. When I reassembled it, the difference was unbelievable. From now on, that is going to be the first step in adjusting a Remington trigger for me.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote