Tools

Re: Skibum's OEJ getting ready for Reno
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted
Very cool Chick. Even your tools have history
Thanks for sharing !!

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Stunning as usual.

I wish I could make it to Reno but work and home will not permit it. I will have to be content with drooling long distance. That is until I get off my backside and get my action sent out.

Best regaurds and a safe trip.

Oh, and I would keep your departure route secret lest mugger await in ambush.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
That is wonderful! Just when many of us become content with what we have...........we get a post like this!!! One day you will work on some walnut for me that is for sure!

Huntr

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few photos I just took of the One Eyed Jack I am building for Jeff. He and his wife Linda picked out the wood, I just ageed with the choice. I will have it together sometime tomorrow and post it in it's new suit of clothes then. BTW, am emailing this post to Jeff so it will be the first time he has seen it. The shine in the diamonds is just wet finish, it will not look like that when done.

The checkering is done at 24 lpi with the exception of the skeleton grip cap which is 32 lpi.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Just don't be suprised if it disappears between here and Reno.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing any photos.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, as always, your work is just outstanding, what route did you say you were taking to Reno?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Chic

That is beautiful work and a great piece off wood. Now let me see some pictures of that checkering cradle.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome job! I love the way the mineral streaking "fits" the cheekpiece. Very nice. Can't wait to see it in person in Reno!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work, Chic. If the weather holds and it doesn't start dumpin' snow, I'm leaving Humboldt Friday AM for the show. Really looking fwd to it and hopefully getting a chance to meet you and others in person.

Craig

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY nice, Chic. Please post some pics of the entire gun when it's all done. Has it been blued yet?

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wood and very good work. I really like your checkering and the fleurs.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Chic

That is beautiful work and a great piece off wood. Now let me see some pictures of that checkering cradle.

Shawn

I second that. Backup some on the zoom. I'm interested in seeing how the stock is held onto the cradle Fantastic looking wood! What's all them scratches on it in the pistol grip area? (just kidding, Chic -- I would go cross eyed if I attempted anything like it. )

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
I am nearly speechless. This has been such a fun project. I can't thank you enough for your guidance, skill, and friendship. We talked often how a truely great rifle is so much more than metal and wood, it has a soul. You, my friend, have given it that. I can't wait to shoot it. I'm really disappointed I'm hung up with work and get make Reno. Tell Howard to keep his hands off it. If I find any drool marks I'm coming to Wa. and beat him senseless.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow what a fantastic looking stock! I am looking foward to seeing pics of the finished rifle....

Glad you included the background info regarding Mr.Ottmar and how he manufactured his stock making tools.

I really enjoy hearing stories such as those. Possibly when you get the chance you could start another

thread showing us pics of his tools and how he made them?

Regards,

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great work Chic, any chance of seeing the grip cap?

Also, what about a pick of the way the forend locks on that checkering cradle? I am on my way in about 20 minutes to go do the welding on my checkering cradle, version 1. It won't have the seat right now, but that will get added later on I guess. After I play with it more I will know better what I want.

And how do you attach the dowel to the barrel channel?

Thanks for sharing! see you Friday.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Chic, great work and great story. Skibum is right about the craftsmen giving a rifle a soul. If one doesn't believe this, then they will be invariably disappointed in the value proposition of commissioning a custom rifle.

I look forward to seeing the finished product in Reno.

I've always believed I could be the world's greatest gunbuilder if I just had the talent to make all the equipment required.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote