New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel this mauser?? Or leave it be?
 Login/Join

<atlasmlc>
posted
I have a '93 mauser that was used by my grandfather a number of years ago. It still has the 7x57 military barrel that was cut to about 20-21 inches. The barrel is toast, probably due to the corrosive junk that was sent through it years ago. It absolutely will not come clean. (I've tried everything).
The action is in good condition and I am considering the idea of rebarreling it. I have heard that this model has some pressure issues that limit its use.
My question is, can I put some kind of small caliber barrel on this thing and use it? I'd like something smaller than the .284 bullet to shoot with it.
Thanks for any suggestions.

<landtrain>
posted
Two answers. 1st. Are you willing to invest as much as twice the potential resale value for a gun you can buy at a used gun shop or a show or,

2nd. Build the rifle YOU want built, the way you want it, and not even consider the cost and time investment.

If 1. Then take it to a show and sell it.

If 2. Then call your gunsmith and outline what you want and what each of you will be tasked to contribute that will make you the "perfect rifle". Cost and time should never be discussed.

No matter which you choose, you alone must decide the course you take.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
You can buy relatively inexpensive replacement barrels in .250-3000 (.250 Savage), .257 Roberts, and 7x57 from Brownell's. 6.5x55 would also be a good round to use in your action. If you handload, stay with the suggested starting loads shown in the modern manuals, because if I remember correctly, the '93 style actions did not have the '98 mauser safety lug. If you use factory ammo, and go with the .257 Roberts, do not use the "+P" ammo in this action, as it is loaded for modern actions at about 54,000 psi, verses the '93, which was designed for (again I'm going from memory) about 48,000 psi. All of that said, the Roberts is a great cartridge to use in these actions.

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Sooner>
posted
I'd keep grandpa's gun just the way he left it, and go buy (or build) what you want.

Sooner

<BEJ>
posted
I would consider a replacement 7x57 barrel. You might be able to find an original replacement in good to excellent condition at one of the milsurp parts concerns like Numrich, Northridge, etc.

<JBelk>
posted
Leave grandpa's rifle the way it is.

A M-93 wasn't entirely suited for anything when it was new. The '95 and finally the M-98 were improvements on the original 93 design. Those improvements were *actual* mechanical and safety oriented *improvments*....NOT just a cheaper way to make the same thing, which is what *improvement* seems to mean today.

I shudder to think of a 257 Roberts in a M-93. That's DANGEROUS!!

Hang in on the wall and get another gun.

<ol crip>
posted
atlasmlc, this model 93 would sit on the mantle and remind me of what a great gent my Grandfather was. For a hunting rifle I would search out a bargain in the gunshop or the gun shows for a decent shooter. I purchased a Winchester Ranger 270 in great shape at my local gun shop for $250.00. the stock is plain Jane but the performance first class. Save Grand pa's gun as a family heirloom and buy yourself a rifle to hunt with. Then pass the 93 on to your son when he is able to care for it and pass it on. [Wink]

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of finding a same surplus barrel in good shape and making the gun whole again. It would still be Grandpas gun and Im sure he would want you to use it as opposed to having the rusted out parts collecting dust and rusting some more. The 7X57 is a fine round. Keep the gun as original as possible by all means but nothing wrong with keeping it functional. [Wink] Theres not much caring that future generations can do with rot.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Don't spend any money on it.

If the gun is safe to shoot as is remember that some rifles will shoot jacketed bullets just fine pits or not! I don't mean sub MOA but it never shot that well when new!

<atlasmlc>
posted
Thanks for your thoughts. I would really like to use this gun for something besides a dust collector. I was hoping that there might be some cartridges out there that perform well in the lower pressure range (below 48K), that might keep this gun in use, especially when teaching safe shooting to my son (who is 8). If you can think of a good round, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll just hang on to it and watch the shows for a small ring 7x57 barrel that is priced right.
Thanks,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atlasmlc:
Thanks for your thoughts. I would really like to use this gun for something besides a dust collector. I was hoping that there might be some cartridges out there that perform well in the lower pressure range (below 48K), that might keep this gun in use, especially when teaching safe shooting to my son (who is 8). If you can think of a good round, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll just hang on to it and watch the shows for a small ring 7x57 barrel that is priced right.
Thanks,

Mike

Forgive me but didn't Paul Mauser lose an eye to a pre 98 Mauser of similar ilk when a primer pierced?

One does get freak non pressure related incidents. I myself had a dud primer let go at <48kpsi my 98 meant I kept my eye.

Son, safe shooting and pre 98 mauser is IMHO an oxymoron.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote