Find
Notify
Tools

Gun working titles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedIs there a qualitative difference between those claming to be gun smiths but range from gun repair , rifle or gun modifiers, custom rifle maker and over all do it craftsman that not only makes it look pretty but make you a rifle that shoots and not just talk a good game? fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
How good a smith you are depends entirely on your experience, who taught you, And how dedicated you are to the job. And yes there are a lot of people out there that claim to be smiths but are Bubba's in disguise.

Any time you are dealing with a new smith ask for some examples of his work. He should have more then a few projects going that he can show you.

And quality is as variable as there are models of rifles. from hack with a hack saw to the guy's that build Krieghoff's and everywhere in between

I'm not a smith I'm a Tool and Die Maker that loves guns and has machines

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This kind of hit my funny bone. I don't like that term when someone asks me if I am a "gunsmith". I usually tell them that is a "loose term" but I do work on guns. I don't really know what to call my work method but I have to agree with what KCScott said.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I personally know what Jim Kobe's work looks like ; tu2 tu2 tu2 salute salute salute archer archer archer

That's all I have to say on that !!!.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firearms Artist! Wood and Metal Merger Man! Kaboom King! Gunmaker Extraordinaire! Assembler of Steel and Wood for the Shooting Sports! Ok, you get the idea, now add to it!

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Well I personally know what Jim Kobe's work looks like ; tu2 tu2 tu2 salute salute salute archer archer archer
That's all I have to say on that !!!.

fishingJudging from my experience with Jim I'd say he has a lot of pluses and I have not recognized one minus. It shook him up for a moment when I showed the first fire formed 22 Jet rimmless. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Open up a copy of Double Gun Journal and the titles go like this

Builder of fine firearms
Rifle maker
Gunsmithing specializing in fine shotguns and rifles
Etc...

What ever you do choose to call yourself make sure it is simple yet conveys the level of skill you have attained

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as i work on my own gun i call my self a darn good gun plumber but am learning Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the statement ....... Custom metal smith

Be aware of the man with only "one" riffel

Posts: 51 | Location: denmark | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I fix my stuff. If I had a business with an FFL I'd probably use gunsmith but most parts are no longer smithed but dropped in. I can make a small part once in a while or build decent 1911 from a box of parts but when I go to Williamsburg and watch someone form a barrel around a mandril from a block of steel, cut the rifling and cast their own brass, that's a true gunsmith.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I go to great pains to research who I use---that said I only use a few. With each having his area of being reckognized as one of the best.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends upon whether you're trying to be realistically descriptive, trying to be funny or trying to attract customers in a competitive market.

IMO the term 'gunmaker' is applied VERY loosely these days. As already stated, the folks who can make it all are the REAL gunmakers.

I know several Guild stockmakers who do all their stocks from semi-inlets, and that's OK in my book as long as the patterns were created by they themselves and not some other smith. However if the pattern is someone else's, why then it's nothing more than a semi-inlet and any Bubba can do one of those.

Similar with metalsmiths. Altering a bolt handle and replacing bottom metal and attaching a scope does NOT make one a gunmaker, only a smith. If you can fit and chamber a barrel accurately that's great but you're not a gunmaker IMO until you can take a blank steel bar and make a rifle or shotgun barrel out of it.

To me, the term 'maker' strongly implies the ability to fabricate an item from scratch, from raw or almost-raw materials. The term 'smith' strongly implies the ability to repair, complete, improve or otherwise refurbish an already-completed or partially-completed item.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I guess it depends upon whether you're trying to be realistically descriptive, trying to be funny or trying to attract customers in a competitive market...

...or trying to get you work done in a hurry. In that case I would suggest "Your Excellency" or perhaps "Your Royal, Royal Highness".

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Yeh, but what do you call the ones who put your gun's needs aside to work on stuff they find more interesting...and are always finding new "interesting" projects to take on before they finish the ones already on hand?

I think there are a lot of times it better pays to hire someone competent, but NOT an "artist". To me it doesn't matter how high a level of inborn and developed skills a guy has if he only does YOUR work on the rare occasions when the mood stikes him...if ever.

I prefer a skilled craftsman who does the job without reference to the fame or deep pockets of the gun's owner, and who works at it regularly & dependably without frequent stops to bask in the glow of his own name.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Yeh, but what do you call the ones who put your gun's needs aside to work on stuff they find more interesting...and are always finding new "interesting" projects to take on before they finish the ones already on hand? .

We call themflameDUDS roger