New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I made some measurements of my chamber on the NEF 357 Mag rifle I have and found that the chamber is 1.830 from the back of the barrel to the rifling now the case of a 357 Max is 1.605 that leaves .225" difference.. I am wondering ?? dose any one think i could shoot a 357 max in it ??? I would like to get a 357 max round and see if it would fit in and close properly first but still am very carious to know if it could...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you kidding? Thats how people get severely injured or killed. If your gonna do it, do it alone so no innocent people get hurt...or worse. If it says 357mag on it, thats what it means.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500MagMan:
I made some measurements of my chamber on the NEF 357 Mag rifle I have and found that the chamber is 1.830 from the back of the barrel to the rifling now the case of a 357 Max is 1.605 that leaves .225" difference.. I am wondering ?? dose any one think i could shoot a 357 max in it ??? I would like to get a 357 max round and see if it would fit in and close properly first but still am very carious to know if it could...

the overall length of the max is nearly 2 inches, so the answer is no.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No don't do it. If you want to shoot 357max have the chamber recut for the Max case.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well with a bullet in there and mesering OAL yes but with most bulletst they are taperd and do not tuch the lands right away and with most of the .357 hand gun bullets they have .100 to .150 befor they start the tapering process.. so yu can take 1.605 for cass length add .150 and get 1.71 in a straight line be for it tappers down take my past number of 1.830 and subtract 1.71 wich comes up as .120 so that is how far off the lands a standerd .357 mag bullet would be off the lands...

But I just made a Harden wax mold of the chamber and they must have used a reamer for a a revolver becouse it has a .435 free bore that has a very slight taper in to the lands. So I would have to have it remmed out for $75 it can be don or it would not be to hard to do just be shorting up the free bore a bit and the do have SSP reamers out there so i think the cheeper rout is to have D and T custom gun works to do it for the cost of shipping my barrle out to them and the $75