THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Stainless Steel Custom Conetrol Rings and Bases? Any Opinions?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Steel Custom Conetrol Rings and Bases? Any Opinions?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Looking for best-quality, 100% reliable options. Aside from true custom mounts ($800+), anyone with an opinion on Conetrol (about $240/set)?

Here is a partial quote:
quote:
The stainless-steel bases and rings are available...Cost is 50% more than the norm for each of these conventional Conetrol stylings long offered in blued steel. Custum bases are streamlined whereas Huntur and Gunnur bases are angular edged, and the Custum rings are the only ones equipped with stainless-steel stud screws. Both Custum rings and bases normally come with a matte finish when provided in stainless steel.

All stainless-steel items, of course, are left white to match the stainless guns they will usually be affixed to. Stainless-steel cone screws are provided as standard with stainless-steel bases.

Picture the below in a stainless steel finish on a stainless steel rifle:

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless steel left handed model 70 with stainless david gentry featherweigh mounts. to my eye they look real good and clean. pm me with your email address and I will send you photos.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
P.M. will be sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I like my Conetrol mounts, I like my S&K mounts even better. Check them out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the sculpted mounts. I use them on all my better rifles.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
CanadianLefty

I have used Conetrols on a 30-06 and a 338 WM. They look good, hold tight, and are a PITA to install.

Like DougH9, I have also used S&K bases and rings. I think the aesthetics are a little better than Conetrol, but that is always a very subjective call.

They are both excellent quality mounts in every way.

Regards, Waynee E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at getting some Conetrols aswell,for M70 Stainless action.I like stainless rifles but not silver scopes. My bases will be custumSS, but the rings will be MatteBlue to match the matteblack scope.
I have a SaM70, so I will reverse the rear base that we see in CandianLefty's picture, to increase distance between rings, will make it about 130mm, same as a Leupold 2.5-8x tube length.
So far,(last 30yrs)I have not heard of them failing.
They are near he lowest you will get, 1.58mm between tube and base,about the only thing lower is Leupold Superlows about 1.27mm between tube and base,which I have at the moment.