New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt-action pistols
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So how would I go about putting together a bolt-action pistol like the old Rem XP-100 which has been gone lo these many years? Does anybody make a stock for such a gun? Intelligent responses only, please.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first requirement (a legal one) is that you start with a NEW bare receiver. Once a manfacture assigns that serial number as part of a rifle (barreled action only or complete assembly) it is always a rifle.
Personaly I'd look for a lefthand bolt myself (like the Savage) instead of a RH like the Rem.
Your other choice would be to purchase a used BA pistol, and rebarrel to the cartridge of your choice.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rootbeer
Take a look at the new Blaser bolt action pistol. The inital investment is kind of steep, but you have the advantage of changing calibers [takes 3 or 4 minutes], the bbls stay sighted in, and it is a repeater. I use Blaser Rifles.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the best actions to start out with since the XP has gone out of service is the RamPro actions. You can order them as pistol recievers with a rear or mid-grip trigger. Most any other bolt action is nearly impossible to get without already being registered as a rifle, I am not sure of the legalities of switching such a action to a pistol, but I am quite sure it is not easy. So your best bet would be to order a RamPro action or start cruising the auction sites looking for xp100s or Savage Strikers.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
You can NOT convert a rifle to a pistol, in the us, without some crazy legal requirements.

the xp, wuich started basically as the 600 action, has a specialized trigger.

Get a striker and an afermarket trigger. I've got one in 708 (no brake, blued) and for $430 walk out, including bases and rings, it's PERFECT. Submoa at 200.

And, for what it's worth (aimed at anyone that dislikes the lefty bolt) the wicitha(sp) with a right feed/left bolt is a $700 OPTION.

you can get the striker for the WSM, 308, 708, 243, 223, 22, and 22mag. Hope there's a 17 HMR coming.

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gents. Before I ordered my Montana M1999 from which I will produce a rifle, I looked into buying a LH action from USRAC. The dame at the sporting goods store told me that actions only are transferred as pistols because they have no barrel length assigned to them. Maybe she was wrong, but it's a moot question now. I have just consumed a 40-ounce beer, so I am not in any condition to respond intelligently beyond this, but I will re-read the posts from all of you at a later time (about 3 hours from now...).

[ 06-26-2003, 20:16: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure she is wrong, once a serial number is entered into the system it is assigned as pistol or a rifle.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Or another option might be to start with an antique rifle and build from there. If you read CFR 26(NFA) and 27(GCA), then it seems that it should be legal to do. I've written a couple of letters asking for clarification, but it's been several months with no responce.
The GCA and NFA don't apply to "antiques", they both have a definition of what an "antique" is. The are both similar, but differ slightly. To cut down a rifle or shotgun would normally fall under the NFA. But the NFA defines an antique to be made on or before 1898? and not be chambered for a self contained rim or center fire cartirge that is currently manufactured in the US or is generally availible through normal comercial channels. This would say to me that if you chamber it for a wildcat or obsolete caliber, then it would be legal to do what you want with it.
Don't take my word for it. Go to the BATF website and look up the code yourself.
I'm thinking the reason they don't resond to my letters is because it is legal and they just don't want to tell me so.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
Could a lefthand Montana Mini action be entered as a pistol and made into such?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The nicest bolt action pistols I have ever seen were made by the late Tony Barnes and featured a Sako L-461 short action...He made them in calibers 223, 6x45 and a neat shortened 30 Rem..

All those guns I ever saw shot under an inch at 100...I have shot rock chucks pretty consistantly at 300 yards and over with them using sand bag rests and a 2x7 compact scope..they were a work of art.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote