Find
Notify
Tools

ADAMS AND BENNETT BARRELLS: ANY GOOD ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Folks,
Has anyone used theA&B barrels and does anyone have any info on the company etc.?

I am considering one for a low-cost huting rifle project

Thanks for the input,
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
Hello Hillbillybear, [Smile] I used a stainless fluted 24 inch A&B BBL in 220 swift. Bought it on sale from Midway at a modest $95 when they still paid shipping. I put it on a XP100 action and it seems to work great as a walk-about varmint rifle and shoots in the 1/2 inch MOA area. For a short chambered threaded BBL. It sure does carry the freight to the target. I've heard some pros and cons about them, I just happen to get one that is doing good stuff for me. I'm happy with it, and if you get one I hope you get the same luck I did [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I rebarreled a Mauser 98 action in .22-250 with an Adams and Bennet barrel from Midway. Factory ammo shoots 1 moa but haven't reloaded for it yet. I guess thats a whole lot of words to say the jury is still out.

Good luck and good shooting.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got one on a .35 Whelen, 1" groups at a hundred, which is about all I am capable of shooting.And (gasp, gasp) have a couple of e.r.shaws, ditto.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I'm not getting into this! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hillbilly Bear, I've used Adams & Bennett barrels on a few project guns and they are ok. I shot one in a 500 meter benchrest match just to see how it would do. With 7 sighters it shot a 9" ten shot group. After cleaning, with 2 sighters, 6" ten shot group. I can shoot 4-4 1/2" five shot groups at this range. The biggest problem I've had with these barrels is that they foul rather fast. On a low budget hunting rifle, they should be ok.

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent success with A & B barrels.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't use them...Like most things in life you get about what you pay for...I have rebarreled several because they didn't shoot well and they wouldn't stand behind the I was told...

At any rate I use Lothar Walther exclusively these days.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not used them but approached my gunsmith a couple of years ago about perhaps using an A & B barrel on a project. He wrinkled his nose and said he'd much rather use a Shilen, saying that with A & B one stands as good a chance of getting a mediocre barrel as a good one. It sounded like a gamble I didn't want to take.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put one on free 98 action in 243 very accurate one ragged hole at a 100 but it does foul rather fast I have to clean her every 40 or so rounds other wise she starts to throw them.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several and would agree with the other posters who have said they are decent for accuracy, but do foul. By decent I mean that the gun probably shoots better than me, my best being several groups slightly less than 1" at 100 yards. This was in a 270, which incidentally was in a flimsy, unbedded plastic stock. I can't wait to get it bedded in decent walnut, and see what it will do. Maybe I can shoot better than I think.

I have not actually done a comparison, since I only own one factory rifle, but I suspect the rate of fouling buildup would not be much different than a factory Winchester, Remington, or Ruger.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I side with Atkinson,lothar walther barrels,are well worth the extra dollars.You could probably make up the price difference in cleaning supplies not needed to be used in a year.And you'll get outstanding accuracy from it,IMHO,L/W, got good barrel making figured out a long time ago,and offer thier barrels at a reasonable cost for the quality you recive.Happy shooting!!!P.S. If you call them,they will patiently and kindly answer all of your questions.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote