Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel length and contour for .25-06?
 Login/Join

posted
For my proposed "Ghost Rifle Kit" project, I've pretty much decided on a .25-06. Now, how long a barrel and what contour? I'm thinking 25-26" in a medium or medium-heavy contour. What would that translate to in numbers? I don't want a bull barrel, as this will primarily be a deer/antelope/coyote gun, but I want to be able to put holes real close together in paper at long ranges, too.

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with a #3 profile. I wouldn't want to go heavier than that in a hunting rifle.
Weight is an over rated parameter in rifle barrels in my opinion.

A shihlen #3 in 24" yields .25MOA repeated at 200yards for my 6.5x55 so given the smaller hole (and added stiffness) 25/26" for a 25-06 should be great.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a 25-06 with a 24" barrel for years. Recently I graduated to a 6.5 x 64 mm (6.5 x 270 win) with a 26" barrel. I am looking for the superior ballistic coefficients of the 6.5 mm, plus the opportunity to shoot heavy bullets if I want.

After comparing half a dozen deer shot with the 25-06 using 120 Speer and 120 Nosler partitions to 2 dozen deer that I shot with a 270 win using 130 nosler ballistic tips, 130 nosler solid base, and 130 sierra spitzers, I found the 270 win was far more effective on deer for whatever reason than the 25-06. I am hoping that my 6.5 x 64 mm will be more like the 270 than like the 25-06.

However, if I were building a 25-06, it would have a 26" barrel.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I already have a .270 and a 7x57. Plus some centerfire .22s and a .243. Time for a quarterbore. The 7x57 will probably still make it out for deer (and cow elk--if I'm going for a big bull it'd be silly to leave the .338 in the closet) hunting once in a while.

#3 in a 26 incher? Is that just a little heavier than standard, but nowhere near as heavy as a bull barrel?

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey CO Roadkill,

About 20 years ago I had a 25-06 made with a 26", #4 contour, Douglas barrel. Shot like a million bucks. The other rifles I have all have Shilen barrels - those rifles shoot great also.

Good luck and good shooting,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll be the odd guy out. I had a .25-06 built up over 20 years ago with what would correlate to a 2-1/2 barrel and 26" long. It shot well, but seemed a little whippy. Had to have the muzzle recrowned (don't let grand-children hold a gun around a cement floor) so had the barrel shortened to 24". Gun shoots almost anything into 3/4" or better groups. It just accompanied me to Quebec and accounted for four caribou (two for me and two for another hunter). Don't be overly concerned about barrel size unless you're planning on shooting a lot in one day. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
24" long and a #3 contour. You might consider a slightly smaller contour - maybe a #2 or a "#2.5" would do?? The longer you choose your barrel, the heavier your contour needs to be.
FWIW, one man's opinon - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One man's #3 is another man's #2. I would be talking a muzzle diameter of around .59 and the chamber reinforcing swamp turned down some. With a mauser action, steel scope and steel mounts that's going to be around 8.75-9lbs with a 24" barrel and a nice slim sporter stock of dense walnut.

Losing the steel scope saves 5oz - I haven't a clue what the legacy action weighs but it's hard to imagine it weighs more than a mauser.

BTW 8.75-9lbs balanced nicely is not bad to carry for half a day and is excellent to shoot.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote