Notify
Tools

Plug and Play Mauser Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
Hi all,

My 30-06 is presently wearing a Butler Creek stock that, while it works, I am not completely satisfied with. So I have decided I'd like to upgrade after deer season this year.

What's the low down on the full length aluminum bedding block synthetics? Specifically, I am looking at Bell and Carlson's Medalist and Hogue's full length bedded version.

I am not worried about cost as much as I am about consistency and being able to install the action in the stock without having to "improve" it or bed it etc. I understand that all Mauser stocks need a little tweaking here and there, but this rifle has been a project almost as long as Terry's 9.3 and I'd kinda like to be finished (and satisfied) with it once and for all. What I am looking for is a rigid, black, non-skid synthetic that will not need glass bedding initially. Will either the Bell and Carlson or Hogue do that? And what is your opinion of them?

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've never used one but I've been told the Hogue stock still needs to be skim coated in the lug area of the stock. With so many variations of M98's around I'm sure all are left a little loose in that area.

The nicest synthetic Mauser stock I've ever owned was a McMillan. They aren't that much more than the "off the shelf" stuff and they'll re-paint them with a very nice texture paint for about $40. Pretty sweet deal if you're hard on a stock. Just fill in all gouged out places and send back every other year for a refurb Wink

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know next week. I just ordered a B&C for a Mauser in 300 Win. It should be in Monday or Tuesday.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
My VZ24 project is wearing a Hogue overmolded that I really like. The overmolding makes it really quiet and accuracy is quite good. It might be improved with some bedding, but it was excellent as is, so I have never bothered.

I'm going to use a B&C for my next build, so I will have a comparison some time in the future.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://rimrockstocks.com/

Best price on the market for those with
a little do-it-yourself skills! thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, if you want to get the best out of your rifle you're going to have to atleast glass any stock you go with--it's really not that difficult, especially when doing an unfinished synthetic, and the results are well worth it.

My personal preference is for the Bansner High Tech, 20oz., great stiff forend (though with a fairly generous barrel channel), and the geometry fits me perfectly, around $260. Acra adheres to these glass stocks incredibly well and if you glass before you paint and finish, the glassed portion becomes seamless with the rest of the stock and the fit is perfect...

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote