Find
Notify
Tools

Test Report - Armor International Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I bought one of the Armor International Mauser barreled actions in 7x64 from Alex Imports. The action is a double square bridge mauser with the receiver grooved for scope rings (Sako rings work), a 1909 style triggerguard with straddle floorplate, fully adjusable trigger, bolt reminiscent of the Mauser Mark X, a M70 style safety, and a light contour barrel. The barreled action is available for both standard and magnum cartridges for $399.00 The metalwork is finished in a matte blue. Overall quality appears to be good, and the finish and polish are good, but not great. The action as it comes from the distributor is stiff, and needs some smoothing. The good news is that the one I got shoots reasonably well. To test it, I cleaned it thouroughly, dropped it into a Bell and Carlson stock, and put a Leuplod 3x9 variable on it, with no other bedding or work. For testing, I used three different factory loads, firing three shot groups off a bench rest at 100 yards. With Seller & Bellot 157 grain loads I got consistant three shot groups between 1.0 and 1.2 inches, with RWS 116 grain loads, groups averaged 1.3 to 1.5 inches, and Premium 160 grain loads averaged 2.0 inchs. My guess is that with careful loading and proper bedding the gun will shoot well under an inch. If you are looking for a true mauser style action, with good bottom metal and safety, this is a good value.

My 7x64 will be off to the gunsmith for smoothing, an Obendorf style 5-panel bolt, and a Mel Smart Acra-bond stock in AAA Walnut.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
So loud-n-boomer: Where did you get this gem? Are they available in 7x57? Are you the fellow that developed the ".22 Ear Geschplitten Loud-n-Boomer" wildcat?

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-22-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Arthur Olds>
posted
OK...I'll bite...how does one reach Alex Imports???? Web Site???? Hope several more have these and will respond...It looks like a great deal...Arthur

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
They are in Southern California, I'll post the address and phone number when I get home tonight as I don't have it here at work.

According to their add in Gunlist, the barreled actions are available in .25-06, .270, 7x64, 7mm Remington Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, and .338 Winchester Magnum.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Alex Imports advertises in Gun List.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Alex Imports
8212 Parkway Drive
La Mesa, CA 91942

619-296-1759
FAX 619-296-2637

one of us
posted Hide Post
A search turned up:

http://aleximportsinc.tripod.com/aleximportsinc/

There's a page of '98 parts, but no mention of barreled actions. Guess you need to call.

Posts: 63 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
This is their ad in Gun List. The scan in not the best. New paper if hard to get a quality image from but the data is there.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote