THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Critique based improvements on 9,3x62.....................

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Critique based improvements on 9,3x62.....................
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First of all thanks to eveyone who was kind enough to give me some good ideas on how to improve my last project a Pre-64 M-70 9,3x62. Of course I couldn't do everything but even the stuff that wasn't to my taste was still good food for thought.

First thing I changed as probably the most commented on - my blocky forend tip. It still won't be perfect for everyone's taste but it is a little less blocky:

I also managed to get ahold of a Wisner bolt release, thanks to my freind Tom Mason:

Probably the most glaring error was a lack of a shelf on the loading port, now fixed:

I also reblued all of the screws and scope rings so that they would match. So heres a look at before and after.

Before:

and afer:

The other side before:

and after:

I'm still need to rub a few more coats of finish onto the tip cap and shelf but other than that I think I'm done and ready to hunt it. I'm not totally satisfied with a few things but that's why it's nice to have the next project ready.
Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, I didn;t notice the lack of "shelf" at the loading port. Something I usually home right in on. That must mean the rest was so well done, I was distracted?

I like the improvements, especially the tip. I'd say you can stop now and go get it dirty!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Those few finishing touches took it right over the top. I cant believe you call yourself an amatuer. I have seen some work from the "pros" who would do well to take some lessons from you. Thanks for sharing the pics.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work...and the photography ain’t bad either! beer

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Damn! If I send you a chunk of wood can you make me one too?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold, only if you can "introduce" me to the young lady in your Avatar... Smiler Smiler.....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That is one handsome rifle. You really could turn pro but you'd have to trash-out your shop to look the part.

I guess selling it is out of the question?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
One word...Ssssswwwweeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those foreend tips are tricky to get round and look right.

Good work DJ , very nice! ! thumb beer

I agree, if you pile junk all over in your shop, people might come over waveing $1000 bills.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, not totally but I'm sure it would have to be for more than it was worth (and enough to fund a few new projects).....Smiler Smiler.........DJ

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Very nice work. you should be proud. Bring on the next project, can't wait to see it!

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Looks fantastic! I wish I could make one as good as yours even before the improvements.

If it was mine the only thing left would be a nice set of iron sights.

Beautiful rifle!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djpaintles!

Great looking rifle, well done!!

I´m from Sweden and I noticed the brand on your (brand new?) wooden work bench "Sjöbergs". That´s a Swedish bench in your shop my friend thumb

Again, great looking rifle!!

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
djpaintles!

Thanks to your earlier feedback I shortened the tip on my current project.

I can remember. Did you do the cherking as well? If not who did? That is some beautiful work.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that the bench was mentioned, what kind of work bench is that, a wood workers bench?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, I did do the checkering. Here's a veiw of the stock after inletting and attaching the grip cap inlay stock and forend tip:

The workbench over at my buddies shop is indeed a Sjoberg, they are nice little woodworking benches for the money. He got on sale at Woodcraft I think. Right now my home (garage) shop is too crowded and cold to work in.... Frowner. Smiler Frowner......DJ

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Excellent! thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ

I would say you are ready for the "big time". Can I get a copy of your brochure and price list?

Congratulations on a very beautiful rifle. cheers

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did do the checkering

I'm very impressed.

Heck there might be hope for me after all. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
D,Humbarger, Thanks again for the swivel studs, I finally got them blued to match. I really like them on the rifle......................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj,
Looks great. Using the drawer under the work table to put things away is a novel approach. I just leave everything on top where I can get to it faster. I found a very old slice of pizza on there the other night. It still was pretty good, just had to brush some of the metal shavings off.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Using the drawer under the work table to put things away is a novel approach

I use mine to catch the sawdust. Makes finding the small stuff a lot easier. NOT!

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, it's STILL beautiful. I've got a request for you....or Chic, Bill, Jim Kobe. How about posting pics of your next stock in progress, from layout to finish? Jack Belk had done this before with a 6mm Rem M700 back in the old HA days. It was a great help...that old one pic worth a thousand words thing. What say, guys?

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I thought it looked great before and it looks even better now.

Good job!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
DJ,

Very nice looking rifle.

You might consider laying out the spacing on your checkering with automotive masking tape prior to the actual checkering. I use 1/8" and 1/4". That will show you when your checkering starts taking a hook at the border or if the geometry starts changing.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Really beautiful, I don't see much of anything to improve upon.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
DJ, one word. BEAUTIFUL!

If I lived anywhere near you I'd drop by just to watch! I'd even bring refreshments! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Job DJ!
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1822 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote