Notify
Tools

Two M-98 Magnums, Rigbys,Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
samag416-7-5-10 03.jpg[/IMG]

Here are a couple of M-98 Magnum actions that I've been working on. They are set up for the 416 Rigby. I decided to try some photography instead of the ususal plop it there and snap the picture routine. These are some of the actions that I was working on back in february.
I think I showed some photos of the guide rib being broached and some 4th axis work being done. They are ready for barrels and wood. I think the customer will be pleased with these.
TIMAN

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
pyofsamag416-7-5042.jpg[/IMG]

Here are the other two photos that I lost. I think.
Timan

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you mill the recess for the 3rd lug in the receiver?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
It's done on a shaper. A cutter advances out of a mandrel. The mandrel rotates 180 deg only. It's geared via rack and pinion to the shaper ram, solid. It's a tempermental opperation. When all the little details are attended to it works like magic, when not its your worst nightmare come true.
Timan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuart

That is some excellent looking work.
Keep it up. Love the pictures of work in progress.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Thanks James, I just finished broaching a bunch of 06 length small ring actions and some large ring 06 length actions. Doing some cnc work on those at the present time. I'll post pics of some of that work in process.
Stu

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stuart...love the photos! I'll be making one of your actions into a 450 Rigby soon...PS....gonna shorten the bolt handle!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I'll be interested in seeing that bolt handle.

I personally go round and round in my own mind about bolt handle length.

On one side of the coin I think length is good. It gives more leverage for recock and extraction.

The longer handle also gets the shooters hand a little farther away from the scope, if there is a scope used.

The ocular of the 30mm scopes are usually larger in diameter.

What do you feel is ideal for angle and length on a bolt handle?

I always want to refine and improve, please advise.

Greatest respect
Stuart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timan, can you repost the pictures of the broaching/machining operations? They are not coming thru.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Yes I can.
My first empolyee. 27 years former experience in opitcal, arms and munitions big stuff, 155 howitzer mechanic and machinist. He's put a 7/16 hole thru the receiver blank on the gun drill. he' now cutting a short bore for another gun drill that takes it to .735 then it gets reamed to .750 for a pair of .750 bolt Rigby orders we are working on getting filled.
cnc machining the rear bridge of a small ring m-98 action
Cnc machining the cocking piece slot on a small ring m-98 action.
Moving right along here flowing smoother and smoother everyday.
Best Regards to all
TIMAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuart

Again, thanks for taking time out of your schedule to post pictures. I wish the very best that life has to offer.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
It's done on a shaper. A cutter advances out of a mandrel. The mandrel rotates 180 deg only. It's geared via rack and pinion to the shaper ram, solid. It's a tempermental opperation. When all the little details are attended to it works like magic, when not its your worst nightmare come true.
Timan

When looking at original M98s it appears that Herr Mauser might have designed his own machine with a bellcrank or a geneva mechanism to make a half turn rotary oscillator with a built in helical advance to add the cam feature....... Big Grin

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
180 motion is a must. It can be bellcranked, it can be rack and pinion. It can be a hand pulled lever on the end of the mandrel that you just pull thru the cut by hand and when the cutter exits the cut the handle hits a stop. It would be slow, but at least you get your cut made.
Timan