New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Stock finishing like a pro
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've done countless stocks finishes . This is what I do.

Lee Valley tools has three grades/types of Pure tung oil: ( I can't remember their correct names.)
-Gloss
-Semi gloss.
-Natural
You want to buy a small container of the "natural" and the "semi gloss" and Tru-Ol (You can use Lee Valley "Gloss" level. It works great but Tru-oil is even better.)

1. After dry sanding wood to 400 grit, Wet sand using #400 progressing to #600 with Lee Valley unpolmerized Tung oil. (natural)
Small circular motion with small square of wet/dry sandpaper on small rubber block about the 1.5x1.5.
This sanding drives the oil and the fine sawdust into the pores. It will get "muddy" for a while as you sand it in.
Sand in until quite dry then wipe off excess. Let fry for two days.
Repeat one more time if you want. I do. Let dry for 2 days.
2. Rub in the middle level of Lee Valley Tung Oil.
Hand rub in in small amounts then wipe off excess and let dry for two days. repeat 2-3 times.

3. Now switch to Tru-Oil. It takes several applications and some bad language. Do a minimal coat with your finger tips. Don't play with it. Let dry for 4+ hours then rub lightly with #0000 steel wool.

On first application rub nearly all off. ( I have tried every method known for sanding Tru-oil. Do what you want but you will eventually find out that #0000 steel wool is the best. All the negative stuff you read about using steel wool is BS. Trust me as long as you use a fresh/new piece of #0000 Steel wool. The Tru-oil Literature says use #000 steel wool. I like #0000.)

Rub lightly with the steel wool. It takes down the finish fast! Work slowly on this part. Your first two applications of Tru-Oil will be very disappointing. Then on the 3rd. or 4th application; Pop! The grain will come out. Using the #0000 steel wool, the degree of shine can be controlled. You can quickly take it down to dull if you want. Let final app. dry/cure for a few days and buff with the finest stuff you have. 3M pads are good here. Must be very fine.
With true oil just keep applying it, letiing it dry for 4+ hours and steel wool it down till you get is the way you want. Four applications usually work but you can do 20 for fun if you want.
PS. Only use one-two application of Tru-Oil on the checkering and "sand "carefully. M16 "tooth" brush works.

I have done years of experimenting. You can benefit.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote