New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ cocking?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. On occasion it does not cock on cycling. No snap on dry firing. Did I just not get the bolt all the way back or do I need a competent smith to give it a once over? I am on short time for a dg hunt. I know some cock on closing the bolt and some rifles on opening. Thanks "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ 550 cocks on opening, but if the sear doesn't catch the cocking piece when the bolt is closed, it will move all the way forward to the fired position. That's what happens if you close the bolt while holding the trigger back. Whether or not the bolt has been moved all the way back makes no difference.

Since your gun is apparently doing this without the trigger being held back, then for some reason the sear isn't catching the cocking piece or the trigger isn't catching the sear. I'd suspect a weak or broken sear spring, and/or an improperly adjusted trigger. I'm sure one of the resident smiths will be along shortly to offer some advice...

Here's a pic of the sear spring from below:

-

Best,
Joe

[ 07-03-2003, 04:36: Message edited by: nextjoe ]

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Joe did good!!

He's right. The trigger is not supporting the sear for some reason. Have it fixed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It is on it's way. "D"

one of us
posted Hide Post
On further checking it seems to be much more frequent if you short stroke it. It definitely does it some times when it has been fully cycled. "D"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I closely examined one of my CZs and found that it has the same problem.

The sear is getting stuck on the back of the trigger and not springing up after the cocking piece clears it. If the bolt is worked hard, the jolt will knock the sear loose and it will reset, but if I very gently cycle it, it can stick.

I called Jack this morning and discussed it with him; he's going to investigate and post his findings on this thread. He and I both suspect a stronger sear spring is necessary.

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote