THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M77 .458 sights - Alternative/Aftermarket?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you know of aftermarket sights that are an improvement over the factory older style M77 sights for a .458? I'm considering Ashley XS ghost ring, as they are well made and work well on my other rifles. Just curious if any others are available, such as folding three-leaf style seen on alot of the express rifles?

Question? I've noticed the newer M77/MKII express models have a quarter-rib with the three-leaf rear sight... Will this easily fit/mount on a 1980 vintage M77? Or is the barrel contour not the same anymore? If it's just a matter of tapping a couple holes to mount the newer style quarter rib that would be a nice improvement I'd think.

Thanks for any input!

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out NECG @ www.newenglandcustomgun.com. They have a rear peep for the 77 and the #1 as well as front beads for the same. They look like a pretty nice set up to me.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Any of you know of aftermarket sights that are an improvement over the factory older style M77 sights for a .458? I'm considering Ashley XS ghost ring, as they are well made and work well on my other rifles. Just curious if any others are available, such as folding three-leaf style seen on alot of the express rifles?

Question? I've noticed the newer M77/MKII express models have a quarter-rib with the three-leaf rear sight... Will this easily fit/mount on a 1980 vintage M77? Or is the barrel contour not the same anymore? If it's just a matter of tapping a couple holes to mount the newer style quarter rib that would be a nice improvement I'd think.

Thanks for any input!

The newer models have an quarter rib which is machined into the barrel blank. It's part of the barrel, not a seperate piece.

You can buy quarter rib blanks from Brownells, a gunsmith can make it fit your gun.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote