New
Find
Notify
Tools

grinding that last hairswidth of recoil pad
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right guys, you'd think I would be happy that I didn't totally destroy my stock last night when I installed the pad, but I'm not, there is still a slight edge that you can catch a fingernail on. Looks like on the original pad this was taken care of by the finish which was built up just a touch in that area (finished with the pad on it looks like). I am not refinishing (except that tiny spot I slipped with the sander Smiler )

How do you go about getting that last edge off, I was thinking about a block and a finer sandpaper, gives me better control and I can get a smoother finish as well. maybe a 320grit? Input welcome.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Spots add character. And something to talk about around the campfire beer.

I use a fine flat file then the very last with a sanding block. But more in the 120-240 range.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Wrap one layer of Duct tape right at the stock/pad junction. Hold a length 220 grit emery cloth on the face of a large/long file and sand it down until you start abraiding the duct tape being very careful not to completely sand the duct tape away.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tape works OK, but .006" SST shim stock is what I now use.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this point I would go the duct tape, emory cloth and file route. But, in the future, a good set of reading glasses and a bright light will help get it done in one pass. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a good light, but two layers of masking tape, and had it so there was no catch, but when I took the tape off I could catch the edge. i am probably just being too picky. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll say this, the wd40 on the sander was a good suggestion from Limbsaver, I noticed when it would wear off the pad would start grabbing.

I have some other take off stocks laying around I am going to practice this on, see if I can't get faster and better at it. my sander is mounted too high also, works fine for normal work, but since I need the look straight down to see the sliver of light between the wood and belt I had to use my step stool so that I could bend my head over without removing my hairline. Big Grin

I'll try wrapping a single layer of tape and using a block with 240.

Thanks again guys.

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What fixture are you using?

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
.006" SST shim stock is what I now use

I'll have to try that. dancing

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wrap .005" masking take just ahead of the pad, on the wood.

I use a big belt sander in a vise.
I go to the fine grit belt.

The key for me is keeping my eye in the same plane as the belt, and keeping the angle of the stock parallel belt, as I rotate the stock.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red,
Loosen the screws for the pad and push it to one side just a skosh, tighten them and then sand it down a bit more. Do the same to the other side and you will be too close to mess with. You can also do it up and down to get the heel and toe areas. Works like a charm.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Loosen the screws for the pad and push it to one side just a skosh, tighten them and then sand it down a bit more. Do the same to the other side and you will be too close to mess with. You can also do it up and down to get the heel and toe areas. Works like a charm.

Brilliant!! I guess that's why they pay you the long money!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chic, I thought I had it as close as I could get it using that tape and sanding block, just came in from the shop actually, I'll loosen them and do that. Can't really catch much of an edge now, but there are a couple spots I feel could be tighter.

I talked to a Winchester repair center, they said walnut stain and a finish like Tru-Oil should work for the touch up spot.

No fixture guys, this was not a planned foray into pat installation, I am hunting with my 375 this year because the rest of the rifles are for one reason or another not ready (most of them are at the gunsmiths for various little things) and after shooting a bunch a couple of weeks ago I decided I should put a new pad on it. Smiler Gonna try and get out to double check the sights on thur (I leave Saturday for a week of hunting) after I reassemble it. should get to see the difference at that time.

Thanks much.

Red