Find
Notify
Tools

Have Brake - Need Thread Protector
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear All,

It looks like I might become the owner of a rifle barrel with a screw-on muzzle brake. That is a change of fortune, as just a few years ago, I could never have imagined owning a braked rifle (worry about muzzle blast). But to be honest with you, maybe this is not such a bad idea for range work (.338 Win Mag), combined with brake removal for field work.

Only problem, I would need a thread protector when I use the barrel without a brake, preferably one as inconspicuous as possible. I would have the barrel and brake sent to the smith in question. The barrel currently resides in the US, so a US smith would likely be the easiest option.

Any idea who could make a thread protector for me, what it would cost, how much a spare (I'm good at loosing stuff Smiler ) would cost, turnaround time?? PM is also fine, should you so prefer.

Thanks for any help in advance.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I can do it. $75 for one or $100 for two

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can't help you with the protector, but if you decide to have kerry make you the part you will not be disappointed, he does excellent work

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the impact shift in using a gun with the brake installed versus the thread protector installed?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It may change. Probably will but the real question is what is the gun capable of shooting now.
If it's a varminter with nicely tuned loads I wouldn't change anything that could fouled up my point of impact. On a hunting grade rifle I wouldn't even worry about it. Whats .5 to 1 moa when you're shooting a vitals area ten inches across.

Barrel contour has a lot to do with it as well. a heavier barrel will show less change then a thinner barrel.
Easy way to tell.... shot and see.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
There is no question that it will affect POI, the question is to what degree will the change occur. You can't predict the amount of change, you have to test it.

mho, where you plan on hunting without it anyway, why not cut the thing off, crown it and get a good shooting jacket you can use at the bench.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering about real world experiences.

Most likely a brake is going on a hard kicker. The difference in muzzle rise may be quite dramatic, affecting POI, not just the mechanical aspect. .5 or MOA is negligible for sure in field conditions but 3-4 MOA or possibly more would be significant.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

Kerry, any issues with having the barrel shipped to you CA?? I'm not versed in the intricacies with shipping firearms related stuff to CA these days??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
regarding change in POI, I see none with my .338 win mag. with or without brake installed on rifle. I use the sims vibration dampners and that might be why I see no shift.

mtbullet

Posts: 12 | Location: montana | Registered: 26 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:

Kerry, any issues with having the barrel shipped to you CA?? I'm not versed in the intricacies with shipping firearms related stuff to CA these days??

- mike

Not on parts. Receivers are a different story.
This is a tyrannical state to some degree. you just need to know what hopes to jump through. But you can send a barrel out here no problem

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:

- mike

Not on parts. Receivers are a different story.
This is a tyrannical state to some degree. you just need to know what hopes to jump through. But you can send a barrel out here no problem

A "tyrannical" State? Somethings perhaps, but whether it's California, Florida or Utah, you need an FFL if someone is shipping you a receiver. California is not special in that regard and they place no tyrannical restriction if you want to receive just a barrel. He can simply stick it in the mail or UPS it to you.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I've been down with the flu the couple days. but PM me for and address to send it to if you like.

www.KLStottlemyer.com