THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Help me take apart a Ruger .22 semi-auto pistol ?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Help me take apart a Ruger .22 semi-auto pistol ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the 22/45 and the thing is easy to take apart but putting it back together always requires the manual.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get it apart ! So I soaked the thing in Ho[ppies # 9 then blew it out with Rusty Duck cleaner. Then lightly oiled it with WD40. I just took it in the back yard and it functioned fine. But, I still can't hit that darn squirrel. I think he has passed the word to his friends, as I have 5 in the yard right now raiding my bird feeders.
Appreciate all the good advice you gave me.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I have taken my Ruger apart and reassembled it many times, but I sure could not have described the operation as well as you have. From the preceeding posts, I bet you have helped a bunch of guys with Rugers that have not been cleaned in a long time.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know there is a clip on the bacvk of the grip. Do you open it with the gun cocked or uncocked ? I once tried to take one apart but when I tried to close the grip clip I couldn't get it to close and the little stop bolt to come up. I know this must be a simple operation but I can't get it. Rifles are my bag. Anyway, the little plinker would shoot a shell then not eject or feed the next. I think I got dirt in it and need to clean it as it worked fine before I shot the sandbag I was resting it on.
These darn pistols will humble a guy. I shot at a squirrel 7 times and he just sat there laughed and keep eating his acorn.
I thought I might just try and blow the grit out with some Rusty Duck before I attempt taking it apart.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Check out www.rimfirecentral.com they have sticky posts with detailed directions for all the Ruger rimfires maintenance.

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This link has a detailed "how to" and some very good pictures to follow. There are some video clips there that you can download and view as well. Take down and reassemble your Mark II with ease. I have the trigger shield they mention in my MKII and it really works. As far as that squirrel... he must have been wearing Kevlar. http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm

Posts: 42 | Location: PA | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Unless you have better luck than I did, you will rue the time you get it apart. I think I used up ever name, word and phrase I knew efore I got it back together. Took it apart again just to prove to myself I knew the "trick" to get it together and the #@$^&^% thing would not go back together.
When it works it is so easy you doubt yourself for ever having trouble with reassembling the gun!
Never gould shoot well with any of the three I ownde over time.

My Browning Buckmark fits "me" better and I have always shot it pretty well. It is so easy to take apart and reassemble it is not funny. A couple of parts do just fall off when one removes the grips though.
The grips kinda suck, but it does shoot well for me. Put a scope in it and it is fun too!

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm

I think the above site is very useful. Hope this helps.

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Unless you have better luck than I did, you will rue the time you get it apart.

That reminds me of when I tried to take mine apart. After feeling completely inadequate, and totally frustrated, my buddy stopped by. He kinda laughed at me for being so "stupid", so I handed it to him & told him to do it.

Long story short, the pistol (in pieces) went home with him in a box. When he finally brought it back about a week later, he admitted that he had actually lost a few parts (various springs that went "sproing" across the room, ball bearing detents something-or-others, etc) while wrestling with it. He then completely fessed up that he finally took it to a local 'smith who "fixed" it for him, and made my buddy feel as dumb as me.

I haven't tried taking it apart since...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. I love my Ruger MKII Pistol but I am afraid to shoot it for fear of getting it dirty and then having to clean it.

I am going to print the assembly instructions and give them a try this weekend.

Thanks again!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote