THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: VZ24 action with .375 barrel, what should I do?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: VZ24 action with .375 barrel, what should I do?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you don't want alot of gunsmithing hassles , I just might stick with your original idea of the .375 Hawk . I'd rather go ahead and spend the money to open it up to .375 H&H rather than go for one of the wilder wildcats........the price of custom reamers and dies would begain to even out the money situation , compared to the extra work opening up the action , and the H&H chambering would get you a much more desirable gun........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with the 375 Whelen Improved?

Much less trouble to make than the Hawk.
You can use 35 Whelen (factory) brass to make it.

It has all the "oomph" for the game you mentioned (and then some).

My wildcat 375 is also on a Mauser, and at least 2 of us on this board have one.
It is the 9.3X64 Brenneke necked up to .375, with no other changes.

The nice thing about the 30-06 parent case is that the chamber could always be enlarged one day if you wanted a more powerful round like the Dakota or 375-338.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig P is on the money here the .375 Taylor is convenient and easy.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If you want to go with the .375 Whelen Improved I have a reamer and gauge that's only finished one chamber. I take it you're on active-duty so if you want I'll loan it to you. (If you were retired like me I make you rent it or buy it.)

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All:

I would also like to build a .375 Taylor (on a Montana M1999) but I'm having trouble finding dies. What about reamers? Are there other sites that might have more info on the .375 Taylor. There seems to be a lot out there about the .416 Taylor but not the .375. Help!

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All:

I would also like to build a .375 Taylor (on a Montana M1999) but I'm having trouble finding dies. What about reamers? Are there other sites that might have more info on the .375 Taylor. There seems to be a lot out there about the .416 Taylor but not the .375. Help!

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

www.ch4d.com

they have the "375x358norma" listed for 69 bucks.. call dave and tell him who's reamer you want to use, and he'll make your taylor.

again, fellas, the 376 steyr is simple, easy, and factory brass, dies, reamer, and ammo.
jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I recommend a .375 Whelen, with the original-design .454" shoulder diameter. Merely necking up the '06 case does make headspacing dicey, but Whelen never intended for the .400 or .375 to have the standard '06 shoulder diameter. He increased it to .454", and even the .400 works OK with that shoulder dimension!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, you may just have something there. I was not familiar with the .376 Steyr, but it looks very promising. Thanks....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You all are killing me. I dont know whether to go with the 375 WI or the 376 Steyr. They both have advantages and disadvantages. What are the ballistics of each round? That will probably be the deciding factor. Who makes dies for the Whelen Imp? Are they any pricier than standard dies? Does anyone make the proper headstamped brass or am I stuck using 35 Whelen? I sure appreciate all your input in this project.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
William,
I have a 376 that i built and I am building another... so I am totally biased...

I think the steyr is going to be a cult round, exactly like te 358 winchester... how many gunswriters praise this round, now that it's terribly hard to buy a winingtonby made with it?

midway has the brass, dies, reamer and even loaded ammo avialable

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/esearch.exe/search?category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=376+steyr

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote