Find
Notify
Tools

Surgeon Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Has anyone had any experience with them?
http://www.surgeonrifles.com/

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, good looking action and I really like the 20 MOA rail. Not real fond of the single
shot, if a tactical rifle I would want a repeater.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd223:
Doug, good looking action and I really like the 20 MOA rail. Not real fond of the single
shot, if a tactical rifle I would want a repeater.

They come in both solid bottom (single shot) and open bottom (repeater.)

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am amused that though they say on the page that it's a 20degree canted rail that everyone interpreted that to mean a 20MINUTE canted rail.

I also agree that "20 Minute" is what they meant to say, but that isn't what they did say...

Except for the integral recoil lug it really does look like a remington....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s probably because the guys that build the rifles and the guys that create the web site are worlds apart!

20 degree’s of slope in 7 inches or so would be a bit much...ya think? Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, what else do you know about these actions. I'll try their web site in a bit--have you shot one? I'm curious as to how that integral lug would work--what are your thoughts--Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Rick, what else do you know about these actions. I'll try their web site in a bit--have you shot one? I'm curious as to how that integral lug would work--what are your thoughts--Thanks--Don

Never shot one...but they appear to be nothing more than a 700 with an integral recoil lug (no real advantage to that), scope base, and funny looking (my opinion) bolt handle.

I’m not sure I like the idea of an integral base because what do you do if it gets dinged up?

For the price you could have a blue printed 700 with a tuned factory or a Timney trigger and a set of Badger rings and mounts...and have some money left over to go toward a match grade Krieger, Shilen or Schneider barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing to keep in mind on this action and its integral rail is the fact that Picatinny rails were developed for the military so a variety of different optical sights and such could be quickly attached and removed from a military weapon.

Unless you have allot of different types of scopes that need drastically different mounting positions that full length rail is just more added, useless weight. This is especially true with that one because of its short length. If it extended out past the face of the receiver for a few inches it would be far more useful if you did want varied mounting options. As it is you’re pretty much stuck with standard mounting positions.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Not particularly my style, but it does look to have solved some of the M700 weaknesses. I'd seriously consider it if I were building a long-range accuracy rig. Personally, I'd machine off the middle part of the rail to open up the loading port.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:I’m not sure I like the idea of an integral base because what do you do if it gets dinged up?

How do you"Ding up" a 4340STEEL weaver/Picatinny rail?

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:I’m not sure I like the idea of an integral base because what do you do if it gets dinged up?

How do you"Ding up" a 4340STEEL weaver/Picatinny rail?

AllanD

The same way you can ding up anything else that has sharp corners and edges. The corners and edges of the slots can and do get dinged up on occasion.

The operative word I used was “if.†And “if†you do it ain’t quite as easy to fix as a removable base...and the entire center section over the loading port is useless anyway for all practical purposes. All it does is get in the way of loading and adds a small bit of weight to a rifle that will probably be heavy enough already.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311 ,
Have a look at the Surgeon website . There's a lot of difference in build quality and accuracy features between a Surgeon and a 700 Remy . Sort of like a Hyundai and a Mercedes - they're both cars but you get what you pay for . Plenty of serious long range hunters and competitive shooters are pretty excited by the Surgeon actions . Have a look at the longrangehunting forum . There's a good thread running there on the subject if you're interested .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
Rick 0311 ,
Have a look at the Surgeon website . There's a lot of difference in build quality and accuracy features between a Surgeon and a 700 Remy . Sort of like a Hyundai and a Mercedes - they're both cars but you get what you pay for . Plenty of serious long range hunters and competitive shooters are pretty excited by the Surgeon actions . Have a look at the longrangehunting forum . There's a good thread running there on the subject if you're interested .

I’ve looked at their web site and have seen their ads in Precision Shooting Mag. It looks like a fine action, and their price isn’t all that bad, but I just don’t personally care for integral scope bases on a rifle. If others like that idea then that’s fine with me too! Smiler

I’m sure with the word “Tactical†so boldly stamped on the receiver ring they will be very popular in certain circles.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The integral rail means one less part to fall off. Maybe important to Eric Rudolph types. I like it for no other reason than it has to stiffen the receiver a bunch. Looks like the basis for a good varmint rifle. Too bad I can't shoot good enough to take advantage of it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.. I thought I posted here on this, but it did not enter I pressume.

For the tactical and longrange hunting guys, this is the best thing out there. This is not for a hunting rifle that sits in a closet half the year. Its made to take a pounding an keep on tikking.

On of his solid bottom recivers just sat new F-class record.

This is much better than stripping a remington, and adding things. Its the closest thing you come to a BR action, but with enough clearance to deal with dust,mud etc etc..

He has said its no problem milling of the middle of the rail.

Here: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek046.html

The bolt handle: you can use one of many different types. I belive its one of Terry Cross bolt handle. Famous smith in the tactical/br enviorment.

Now, for a hunting rifle I prefer something else then the puny remington extractor, so I choose something along the lines of a mauser/sako extractor. Makes me feel a bit more confident the shells leave when I want them to.

But for tactical, shooting paper or targets, this is what I would use. Its is simply the best thing out there for this right now, only second to a true BR action. And he was before the stiller predator, jim bordens alpine, and GAPs 7000 action. And he has more feauturs. As for the loading port. This is a Tactical action for the tactical shooters, and the rest, but the tactical shooters are starting to migrate to BDM. In particular the new Badger BDM that uses AI magazines. So top loading is not that important, but is possible.

So, if you want the best Rem based action out there, this is it!

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat...452&page=0&fpart=all

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine is considering this action for a 338 Lapua.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D Humbarger: it will not fit a 338LM, but he is making one that will fit one as of right now I suspect. It will look something like the AI action from what I understand.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, thanks for the feedback, as usual you give me some good insight, and point out a few things I didn't catch/think of.

Thanks Rick--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote