New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 re-assembly question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a question for anyone who is fimiliar with re-assembling my 1911. I know the basic strip down but last night I removed the main spring housing and of course the sear spring came out. Now when I re-assemble the gun the way I believe it is supposed to be the sear never engages the hammer. I know I'm doing something wrong but cannot figure out how to get it right.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nose of the sear points backwards toward the shooter. The flat on the bottom of the disconnector rests against the back of the trigger strap.

Make sure the a different finger of the flat spring in the back of the pistol engages the trigger, the disconnector and one finger pushes against the safety lever that fits into the palm of your hand. The easiest way to accomplish this is to have the hammer spring housing out. Lay the flat spring in place watching where each of the fingers goes, and then slide the grip safety in and then the hammer spring housing.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I usually insert the mainspring housing partially just to hold the spring being sure the 3 fingers engage properly then install the grip safety and complete insertion on the hosing.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I usually insert the mainspring housing partially just to hold the spring being sure the 3 fingers engage properly then install the grip safety and complete insertion on the hosing.

This is the way I do it too. This allows you to check that each of the three fingers is engaging the right part before you install the grip safety and slide the mainspring housing back all the way up and insert the pin....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 115 | Location: Woodlawn Tennessee | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote