Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted
If I want to convert my Remington 870 12 gauge to take 3 inch shells, what must be changed besides the barrel? I have heard a lot of different answers, and I am not sure if any of them are correct. Thanks, flutedchamber

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
according to the remongton wesite;

NOTE: Model 870 Extra Barrels with 3" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum, and 2-3/4" receivers. These barrels will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells when used on Magnum receivers. Use only 2-3/4" shells when these barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers.

Basically the answer is no, your 2-3/4" gun will have to remain so.jj

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You don't change the barrel. Have a gunsmith lengthen the chamber & change the ejector.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you would be better off, and cheaper, to just sell you 2-3/4" gun and buy a 3" gun.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you need a barrel with a three inch chamber and you need to install a three inch ejector. that entails the ejector and two rivets. most time the receiver has to be refinished after you dress the rivets down.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found it easier, cheaper and not to mention faster to simply plop down $200 on a new 870Express that already had the 3" chamber.

Besides it's an excuse to own another shotgun.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote