THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Who glass beds their .22 rimfire rifles, is it necessary?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who glass beds their .22 rimfire rifles, is it necessary?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My rifles barrel I free floated but am thinking of bedding the action? What you think?
Thanks

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Crowns, bedding, triggers... .22 rimfires suffer the same issues as the big guns and thus stand to benefit from the same treatments. Folks who demand the most from any firearm will treat them all as equals.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have one that is giving you trouble go ahead.

I never have recoil forces on a 22 is no where near a center fire so a lot less movement of the action during recoil.

That said if I hand a 22 that was a loose fit in the stock ect I would glass bed it.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
You will find that most of the top small-bore shooters have their rifles glass-bedded, if that is any indication.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I never have recoil forces on a 22 is no where near a center fire so a lot less movement of the action during recoil.

Bedding isn't about recoil forces. It's about providing uniform support for the action, which ALL guns benefit from having.

If a shooter want's his .22 rifle to be the best that it can be, then that would require no less an effort than one would put into any center fire. In fact it becomes even more critical since they cannot hand load for their particular rifle. Serious .22 lr shooters go to the extreme of weighing all their ammo and placing them in groups by weight. It all boils down to what the shooter wants from his rifle and how far he is willing to go to achieve it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before getting into Cooper rifles I bedded all our .22 bolts and the results were very impressive. Most noteable were the Remington 581's. They would go from 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards to 3/8's with the same ammo.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Westpac said, and plenty of it.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of majestrate98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Folks who demand the most from any firearm will treat them all as equals.

Treat them all as equals? Could it be that the .22 was discriminated against due to it being a rimfire when the proper bedding was distributed amongst the guns? Surely the guns with the most accuracy should give their fair share to the lowly .22s as they were not provided the same opportunity to achieve the same level of accuracy. Makes one wonder if the .22 can ever be equal with the centerfire calibers ...
dancing

Sneak close, aim small, hit hard!
** NRA Lifetime Member **

Posts: 35 | Location: Murray, UT | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bedding isn't about recoil forces. It's about providing uniform support for the action, which ALL guns benefit from having.

Bedding is all about recoil with out recoil the action well not move and one would not have to bed it. If a action moves around with out recoil then it is way loose in the stock.

Good uniform bedding stops the recoil from moving the action in the stock. Action movement allows point of bullet impact to shift.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote