New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 x57 "normal"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello..can anyone advise as to proper bullet diameter for a commercial oberndorf mauser sporting rifle/carbine..caliber marked..."* 8x57 normal".???... thanks for help...

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes I advise you to slug it and measure it yourself as that is the only way to make sure. Do not rely on anyone else to tell you want the groove diameter of your rifle bore is.
I suspect it is a .318, but you really need to measure it. Get a lead ball, 375 works well, and smack it into the muzzle with a plastic hammer. Measure it.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "Normal" designation refers to the German standardization process of "Normalization" whereby ammo and chamber dimensions were standardized.
Both the 318 and 323 bores were "normalized".
So to know what the bore diameter is the bore will have to be slugged.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might take a look at the bottom of the barrel just forward of the receiver. My original Oberndorf Mauser Type S rifle is marked with the bore, groove, and twist dimensions in millimeters there.

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would slug he bore..however there is a cut off date for the .318 bore manufacture and the change to 323, but I don't recall what it is, or that I would trust it as fact, so slug the bore or have your local smith do that for you.

I know some that shot 323 in there 318 bore rifles, some got away with it!! others didn't..Guess it depended on the action..I wouldn't do that! wow think of the Sectional density of that spegetti bullet. homer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote