Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement Stocks Remington 1100
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I recently inherited a Remington 1100 shotgun and it has a lot of sentimental value. It is probably approximately 35 years old. The metal is in great shape but, when I look at the "pressed" checkering, if you want to call that checkering, I just shake my head and wonder what gunmakers were thinking then.

What are some sources for replacement stocks for Remmy 1100's? I looked on Great American Gunstocks and did not see anything. I am not looking for anything big budget, just some cut checkering.

I suppose one option would be to refinish the stock and in the process sand off the old pressed checkering and have some cut checkering put in its place?

Your thoughts, as always, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
The metal is in great shape but, when I look at the "pressed" checkering, if you want to call that checkering, I just shake my head and wonder what gunmakers were thinking then.

What are some sources for replacement stocks for Remmy 1100's? I looked on Great American Gunstocks and did not see anything. I am not looking for anything big budget, just some cut checkering.

I suppose one option would be to refinish the stock and in the process sand off the old pressed checkering and have some cut checkering put in its place?

Your thoughts, as always, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

What they were probably thinking about was putting together a shotgun that was relatively affordable and functional for the ordinary hunter.

If you want to do it fairly cheap, go to brownells .com and buy yourself some checkering tools and convert the impressed checkering to cut checkering. Pretty simple and quick.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Malm's advice. Look at Jim Carmichael's book DIY Gunsmithing (used, everywhere) which has a detailed section with pics on converting the pressed Remmy checkering - using the pressed as guidelines.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
PM Sent

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote