THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    98 Mauser and bolt handle as additional safety lug

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

98 Mauser and bolt handle as additional safety lug
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Came across some interesting German made Mausers that also uses the bolt handle as a safety lug. I do not know how much they are, but look pricey.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hart, I think you are confusing that notch in the rear of the action for the bolt with a safety lug. I have seen those modern made mausers and they are a copy of the 98 which employs a safety lug under the bolt at the rear. But then I do not speak or read a word of German, other than Heineken, so you may have read something I just glossed over.

You can find them here.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That little lug is actually a guide tab, usually found on modern magnum length mauser actions. The extractor rubs against it and keeps those long bolts from wobbling when in the open position.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Kurt said it's a guide for the bolt , but it's not new I saw it in the Chilean Mauser 1895 7 x 57 .

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that on the the 1895 Chilean, the tab is stronger and is considered to actually be a third "safety" lug. It is also assumed that this lug was a specific requirement of the Chilean contract, as it is not found on other M95's.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at it a little closer, it does look a little light to be an effective safety lug. I could not find any mention at that site refering to it as a safety lug, but when I first looked at the site, I thought it might be an additional lug to the origional third lug.

Another neat thing I noticed at this site was the model 70 style safety with an additional button to lock the safety lever.

Sorry for the large picture. Don't know how to make it smaller.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote