New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hobby shop, final stages.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have spent the past three months building and finishing out a portable building to be my Hobby room. The building started out as a shed and was transformed by my brother-in-law and I into a shop. We are in the final stages and I am in need of suggestions for shelving. The building is 14'x28' with 8' walls. It is completely insulated, wired, has its own heat and air system. It is completely paneled in T 111 5/8" plywood. It has two attic areas 12'x14'. It will get a laminated wood floor this next week.
Between the two south windows is a 11' wall space. I plan to put two Sears work benches there with new 2.5" thick maple tops 7' long each. There will be 14' of work space to play with. From the work bench up to the ceiling is roughly 4.5' of space to mount some shelving. I do not want it to encroach on the workbench space so I thought of mounting it to the walls. The shelving would be for my various manuals and books, log books, specialty books. Primarily, I have used a similar space to store my loaded ammo in RCBS and Midway boxes. The shelving must be stout enough for several hundred pounds of bullets. This is where I need the help. Suggestions?????????????????

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to show pictures LB404, it hard for me to picture even though I've been there.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
LB,
sam's sells some STRONG metal strut and metal frame with 3/8 MDF shelves... you can arrange them in wither two low or one high shelf... I have a couple.. they hold LOADS buddy... 57 bucks each...

I am planning on turning two of them "short" ways into the wall, making it more or less square... say it' 2' deep and 4' wide... it makes sense to have the 4' ALONG the wall... I just want some space back, as I have to "share" my space with my pool table in my garage

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
Any of the cantilevered and premade shelves will work fine for books. When it comes to shelves for bullets, I would use the old shadow box design. These shelves do not need t0 be deep if they are just holding bullets or primers. Consider if you want to have it hold bullet boxes, one bullet box deep or two and then decide how you want it divided. I built mine with a 9 1/2" wide by 9 1/2" high by 8 inch deep box dimension. The lateral members (shelves to you non engineers) and the verticals were made of 5/8" plywood as was the back. I wish I had not made the boxes so high, 4 or 5 inches would have done nicely. I put one caliber in one box but it does not have to contain that entire supply of bullets for that caliber. Glue and screw the panels together and screw it to the studs in the wall and put in plenty of screws. BTW, that new Gorilla Glue is incredible. Do not overdo with it as it foams as it cures and you have to scrape the excess away and it is stout.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

I would never have guessed you would have had room for a pool table........lets see, you have Lathe, Mill, a couple of welding machines and lord knows what else.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its too small.... Anything less than 5000sqft Is to small

Any recycleing places arond there? We have a metal recycling place that has alot of Steel commercial selfing.

Have fun...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
whil it aint cadilac, I have a complete 2 car garage for my shop.. and an a/ced apartment above it (that I have to share with the wife's art stuff) for reloading, bedding, genrally fartin around, attempts at checkering and leather work... oh, yeah... and as poorly as I play guitar.

Come on up, you can check it out

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I have done in my old shop is make wooden shelving and it worked very well. It could have looked better. What I would like to see is pictures of ideas so I can get a better Idea of how it may look and function. I will be using the Gorilla shelving for storage away from the benches. but I would like to use the back wall space for storing the hundreds of boxes of loaded ammunition, loading dies, and miscellaneous books, etc.. I will be making these up and moving them in after the laminated flooring is installed. The sooner I decide on the shelves the sooner I can make them up to install. I am real excited about this as I, like many others, have had to rob space from the house to do my thing. Now I have a place of my own to play. It will also house a futon, a desk with computer for Internet, and a big screen TV. No bathroom or running water as the covens state it must be a portable building. No plumbing! A small refrigerator and I am done. But before I can finish up I need some ideas for the shelves.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote