Find
Notify
Tools

First Rifle Project
 Login/Join

<Shodan>
posted
Hi All,

I am considering rebarreling my Remington 721 30-06 to something like 25-06. I want to do most of the work myself. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money on tools that I may not use again or get in over my head and damage my gun. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

<Don Martin29>
posted
Either do it right or just trade the 721 for the caliber you want. Or better yet buy a 25-06 and keep the 30/06 as is. It makes no sense to take apart a good gun. None at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shodan:
Hi All,

I am considering rebarreling my Remington 721 30-06 to something like 25-06. I want to do most of the work myself. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money on tools that I may not use again or get in over my head and damage my gun. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is one of those projects that is best left to a professional with the correct tools as you will need a barrel vise and headspace gauges and unless you have a milling machine /and or a good lathe then I would pass and get a good accuracy type gunsmith to clean the threads on the action and new barrel...and to chamber the barrel or clean up a prechambered barrel and set the headspace for a light touch on a go gauge and while you are at it fit the chamber for a bullet that you shoot at a length that will fit the mag if you use it, and spuare the front of the action.....but you can do the stock work and pillar bed the wooden stock and glass the recoil areas and similar "standard" stock improvements.....good luck and good shooting!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If you want to re-barrel but dont want to get in to deep or spend a lot on tools then your best option is to take it to a pro. If you shop around some you may be suprised to find that some guys would do you a good job for less than youd expect. Also that way you get it done right. If you make the switch then Id suggest looking at a 25-06 AI while your retooling.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Shodan>
posted
Thanks for all the input. Probably will not mess with the 721. But I do intend to do a project of some kind so the advice won't go to waste.