New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 Barrel Length
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the best barrel length for the 7x57 Mauser for best performance.
Thank You in advance

one of us
posted Hide Post
29" would give best performance, but 22" is what I like

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got a 24" on mine and really like it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine are both 22", "featherweight" profile. I really like this configuration on the 98 action.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
My 19" scout is easy to handle and plenty adequate out to 200 yards plus. The 19" barrel does not do justice to the cartridge's ability but that's not why I built it.A 24" barrel is a nice compromise combining high velosity and ease of handling.

If you intend to use it from a bench overlooking a bean field use the long barrel.

If you're going to be drawing it out of a saddle scabard use the short barrel.

Something in between ; use good judgement
[Wink]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
I wrestled with the same problem- so 23".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a 26 inch stainless-steel select-match Shilen 7x57 barrel on a Ruger 77. Works OK.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
23" or 24" for optimun performance with the widest range of bullet weights; 22" for ease of carry and balance.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
My 2 Rugers have 22" long-throat barrels. They are very accurate, and ballistic performance is more than adequate. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the action. I believe you can go with a longer barrel but keep the OAL the same if you use an MRC short action. They will accept the 7x57.

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input, I have ordered a Lother Walter L-23.6" barrel in 7X57. I will install it on a 23/47 Yugo action. Will work me up a nice custom rifle for White Tails.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Nice choice all around [Big Grin] [Smile] [Wink]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the 24/47 have an extractor cut in the barrel?

Just curious, how does one cut that?

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote