New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock refinishing???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just stripped down an old Interarms Whitworth stock. Getting ready to oil it but before I do I got to thinking. I read some where in this forum about using a propane torch and a wet rag on a stock to help bring out the stock figure. For the life of me I can't seem to find it in all my searches.

May or may not do it but I would like to hear or read more about it before I put oil to the stock. The stock has really nice figure on one side of the stock and it is pretty plain on the other. I would like to bring out this contrast even more.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hmmm I've used a wet towel and soldering gun to raise a dent. I've used a torch to blend in lighter wood and to hide a flaw I have never used the to together. Be interested to hear.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically, the wood is scorched with a torch. Don't know what the wet rag is for.

There's some good info here:

http://books.google.com/books?...v=onepage&q=&f=false

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might be the thread you were thinking about:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...&forum_scope=9411043

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As I said I've used a torch. This stock had a 2" blond streak along the butt. Per Chic's suggestion I used a torch. Go slow you can make it darker it is a bitch to make it lighter.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I´ve read about using Chromic Acid to bring out grain/figure on stock wood, the process involved applying two coats of chromic acid, with 15 minutes interval.
15 minutes after the second coat, the stock is washed down with straight ammonia to neutralize the acid.
The pictures I saw looked really good, but can´t find them now.

Cheer´s

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Hmmm I've used a wet towel and soldering gun to raise a dent. I've used a torch to blend in lighter wood and to hide a flaw I have never used the to together. Be interested to hear.

After reading some of th other stuff linked here I think IIRC the towel was used around the sharp edges to prevent burnging the wood. My stock isn't maple or myrtle so I will not do this technique on this stock. Thanks for the info guys.