Find
Notify
Tools

thoughts on rebarreling 375 to 300?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
I have a very light custom 375 weatherby in what I think is an FN Mauser action. Had it 50 years. Took it to Africa for buffalo and plains game. Shoots great, but REALLY kicks due to the light weight. Right now I don't have anything between a 308 Win and a 375 H&H and this 375. Wanting to rebarrel to a 300 of some sort.

The 300 PRC and 30 Ruger seem like well thought out designs. But for ammo availability and general acceptance, the 300 Win Mag looks pretty good. And I don't need 4000 ft lbs. for plains game type hunting.

I see Brunos in Phoenix has a Krieger barrel at a good price, with a 1 in 10 twist and a sporter contour. Has me interested.

Thoughts? Too much trouble for an inexpensive rifle to begin with? Choice of 300s if moving ahead? Go for the PRC or Nosler?

Thanks!

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300 Weatherby or .300 Win Mag, take your choice. I have little regard for the newer offerings.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Obvious choice is 300 H&H.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
If you decide to get rid of it, I would love to have a Mauser action to build a 300 H&H on.

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
H T:

What is the weight of the rifle?

Load some lighter bullets, if recoil is problem for you, is not an option? Or put some weight or mercury recoil reducers into stock?

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Gave me some food for thought. I went to a gunsmith today and dropped it off for rebarreling to a 300 WinMag. Also the mauser safety will be reconfigured for the safety lever to no longer ride up against the bell housing on the scope when the safety is on. That can be an issue when trying to get it off safety in a hurry, especially with gloves on !

I stayed away from the 300 PRC, Nosler, Weatherby, and H&H. Figure to handload, but if ammo gets lost on a trip, I can much more easily find 300WinMag than the others.

As to recoil reducers, etc. I really don't need it as a 375 Wby since I have a 375 H&H. I can use a 300 mag of some sort, so that's where I'm headed !

Has been an interesting rifle. "Made in Finland" on the barrel, FN Mauser action (unaltered), barrel has been shortened to 21", originally had open sights, and it shoots cloverleaf groups consistently even with the short barrel. But it needs to be hand loaded to be safe if standard 375 WBY ammos is used, due to having no freebore in the barrel.

So.... making the switch.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
By the way, the weight of the rifle is just over 7 lbs. with scope. (eek)

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:

Has been an interesting rifle. "Made in Finland" on the barrel, FN Mauser action (unaltered), barrel has been shortened to 21", originally had open sights, and it shoots cloverleaf groups consistently

I have to say, your rifle sounds a lot like a Sako FN in 375 H&H, right down to the weight. Mine has a muzzle diameter of .575”.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by H T:

Has been an interesting rifle. "Made in Finland" on the barrel, FN Mauser action (unaltered), barrel has been shortened to 21", originally had open sights, and it shoots cloverleaf groups consistently

I have to say, your rifle sounds a lot like a Sako FN in 375 H&H, right down to the weight. Mine has a muzzle diameter of .575”.

My Zastava Mauser in 458 Win Mag came with a .625" diameter barrel at the muzzle.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Muzzle diameter - I'll likely never know!! Rifle is being rebarreled, so I may not see the old barrel again. Don't need it anyway. Believe I'll be happier with a seasoned rifle like this in a 300 WinMag version. Lookin forward to it!