New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluing Question?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I learned a lesson NOT to put my rifle in someone else ATV gun boot after the rain.

The tip of my A-bolt must have come in contact with acid that about three inches of bluing came off exposing bare metal. The area affected is about 3�x1.5� at the tip of the barrel.

Is there some quick and easy way to re-blue that small section of the barrel or do I have to re-blue the entire rifle etc? Any recommendations on what to use?

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Novum Wonder Blue,available from Brownells & Midway, is the best touch-up blue I've tried. It is a multi-step process & requires a propane torch but is easy and capable of good results, if you follow the direcions.\
Roger

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DannyBoy, I'm gonna preach heresy here...

If it's a 'hunting rifle', as distinct from a 'look at' rifle, rejoice in the fact that you no longer have to 'baby' your rifle. The scars, scratches and dings that result from a hunting trip add character to a rifle, and remind you of the hunt.

Relax about it... if you 'hunt', you will get more dings, dents, scratches and whatever as time goes on... it's only a rifle...

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck using oxpho-blue from brownells, it takes some elbow work but it stays on well for me.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1072&title=OXPHO-BLUE

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm going to be the lone dissenter....pack up the barreled action and send it off for a hot blue and bite the bullet.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote