Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need source for pre-64 rear sight
 Login/Join

posted
I need the factory rear sight for a pre-64 375 H&H.
According to The Rifleman's Rifle it was the Lyman No 6W Dual Folding Leaf Rear Sight on special Winchester base. Any sources or info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
KT57

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck,
I bought one years ago at a gunshow for $100. That would be a bargain today. You'll see one on Ebay from time to time. Other than that, you just have to prowl the gunshows. I don't know of any parts dealers that would have one. I don't know of anyone that currently makes them, not much of market to tool up for. And since many were removed and subsequently lost, like your and mine, the demand for originals exceeds the supply. You could ask Jim Wisner how much to make you one.

Winchester used two different sights on the 375. The earlier one has two folding leaves. The later on had both leaves connected at 90 deg. in a rocker arrangement. You'll need to look in your Rule book to determine which one your rifle had.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Gary Fellers in Fort Worth, TX.

(817) 346-9633

If he doesn’t have one I’ll bet he can tell you where to get one.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KT57: If you really, really want one, I have one of each: Early two leaf, $240, and the roll-over, $225. These guys are not easy to locate. I collected M-70's for over 20yrs, and I know I have seen less than a half-dozen available in those years.

JLS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this the culprit?

I got it on eBay, listed as for a Savage but when I got it I did some research and deduced that it was for the .375H&H M70.

email me if it's what you need.

recoil@optonline.net

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Recoil,
Thanks that is the dovetail. Some early 375s had that sight dovetailed in the barrel but mine was a 1953 model that has a special Winchester base that is rectangle in shape that your sight is dovetailed into.I need both pieces so PM me with a price.

JLS,
Do have just the sight above or do you have the base also?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...the sight recoilbob has, appears to be the original type Lyman 6W which was drifted into the bbls rear sight dovetail.
The sights I have are: Lyman 6W, with special base; and Winchester "roll-over" version, 70B.
JLS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KT57: You have a PM

JLS