New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing Remington stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an 870 that I bought in 1978. It has very attractive wood but the bowling pin finish is peeling off. I actually sought help on this forum several years ago but didn't get to the project and now I've forgotten the advice I received. I vaguely remember recommendations of using oven cleaner, Jasco, and Liquid Sandpaper, not all at the same time of course, but individually. My apologies for asking a second time but I don't want to screw this up, this is the first gun I ever bought for myself and it means a lot to me. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only just started taking the finish of two stocks sourced from a Win670 and a Rem78. I'm using a gel type paint stripper applied thick, left about 5-10min and then scrapped off with a hobby blade. The Win670's finish is coming off easy ... the Rem finish is a bit more tenacious but its slowly coming off. Later I'll give the stocks a good clean and start the refinishing process.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with a Remington 700. I also used a gel remover and it took several applications but it did work. Just make sure you get all of it cleaned off before you try to put any finish on it (speaking from experience, I was not patient and had to re-do a bunch of sanding).

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes one of the gel strippers with methylene chloride to get the polyurethane off. Unfortunately this stuff is a carcinogen.
Be sure to do it as far away form the house as is possible and do it on a breezy day to blow the fumes way from yourself. Clean the mess up and change clothes and shower promptly. Do not smoke.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've stripped two stocks in the past year using Citristrip from W.M. Barr, Memphis. It is labeled as being free of methylene chloride. Paint it on with a brush, let it set for several days, paint on some more, and keep it up until all the finish is dissolved and then wipe it off with rags or paper towels. Everything cleans up with water. I took a hose to the stock after the stripping was complete, wiped it "dry" and then let it dry in my garage for a month before sanding.