New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fabricating Unertl type scope mounts...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I started to fabricate a set of Unertl type scope mounts.

Thought some of you might find interest in following along....

www.rvbprecision.com

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cool, keep us posted on it, interesting to watch.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bit more work has been done.......

www.rvbprecision.com

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roy,

Your mounts look good!

A couple of thoughts: I shoot the old rifles in BPCR Silhouette competition, so we are constantly making adjustments, both for range and windage. If you're doing something like that, you might want to find something that gives just enough friction to avoid the knobs turning on their own. Nylon screws or something might work, and would be interchangeable with the brass screws you mentioned.

If you're interested in longer ranges, you also might think about a set that allows more elevation. The mounts made in OK that you mentioned have an additional 0.25" of elevation adjustment, compared with the originals.

The best place I've found for bases is one of your neighbors, Steve Earle, who carries an almost unbelievable variety of bases.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clever solution! Here is a link to some bases:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ca...id=559910&catid=6887

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks........I'm all set with bases. I milled up a nice base for the Malcolm mount and simply use "standard" Unertl mounting.

The mount is now complete, it will need to be taken apart and files and sanded to remove tool marks. But good enough for this weekend.

More on the web page;
www.rvbprecision.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I finished the mount today.......took it all apart and recoated it in a flat finish....more better!

I also modified the ends of the threaded adjusters to have more area up against the scope tube.

The article explains all this.

I did get out shooting yesterday with fantastic results. Very pleased with how this turned out.

Article here:
www.rvbprecision.com