New
Find
Notify
Tools

1909 Mauser 338-06 Scope Bases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Building a 338-06 on an 1909 and would like some input into the scope base design. Planning on using Talley's with a "Mark Stratton" base design. Should I remove the charger hump? Should I cover over the charger slot openning with the rear base. Only concern I have in doing this is the reduction in room to feed cartridges into the mag box...338-06 is a fairly long cartridge. Using Jim Wisner bottom metal. Thanks, Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just send it to Mark. He'll 'splain the pros and cons of the various geometries. It be looking good when you get it back.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Plenty of room after the bases are installed. Let the smith that does the bases take of it though. He'll custom contour the bases for the action so it would be better if he does any cutting that needs to be done to the action.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just redid a Mauser 98, acutally a Swede. I did remove the rear charger hump though and did add a piece to the charger slot. This made the action able to accept a standard FN base and hole spacing. If using the Talley lightweight scope rings, the hole spacing won't allow one to use the front hole due to the charger slot.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote