Find
Notify
Tools

MRC 1999 Extraction Problems
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
I'm hoping someone here can help with an issue that just cropped up with a 416 Rem I have built on an MRC 1999 action. After firing one shot with the magazine loaded with three cartridges down, first round fails to be extracted. As I've watched the empty case as I pull the bolt back, the case drops in the back and it falls out of the extractor, leaving it about half way in the chamber. It only does this with a full magazine. I'm using Remington nickel plated brass and 370 NF solids for the load. Anyone know how I can fix this? I'm leaving for an elephant/buff hunt in a week and a half and need to get this sorted out!

Thanks,
Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my MRC in .375 Taylor. The extractor fits the case head too loosely. MRC replaced my extractor and the problem disappeared. Since you are on a DG hunt, you may want to check out a replacement from Matt Williams. I believe he makes a replacement from solid steel, not MIMed.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree it is most likely the extractor is too loose. I have a .257 Roberts and had similar symptoms until I had the extractor adjusted. The only thing about your situation that has me confused is why it only happens with a full magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right, DB... Mine was better with the mag full, and would barely extract a fire case with the magazine empty. And it would lose control of the case as soon as it left the chamber. Wouldn't throw the empty out of the rails. With a round down in the magazine, it tended to push the empty up into the extractor hook a little, but not enough...

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote