THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    To freebore, or not to freebore, that is the question.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To freebore, or not to freebore, that is the question.
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
I am building a .270 Weatherby and cannot decide if I should put the standard freebore in the throat, or just chamber it without, for the sake of accuracy. If I don't freebore, and I try to shoot factory ammo, will the pressures be too great? The action is an FN mauser and the barrel is an Obermeyer cut rifled barrel. Also, my gunsmith doesn't have the reamer. Which one is best for this job?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with "freebore" provided the throat is cut to minimum dimensions, ie .0005"-.001" over bullet diameter. Even with a conventional length throat, you want a tight throat for best accuracy. If you plan to shoot factory ammo, then by all means, go with the freebore. Also make sure your smith orders the reamer from a shop that will grind it to minimum dimensions for the tight throat.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am the most dyed in the wool Mauser fan there is but why people want to make high intensity cartridges out of them, and particularly the FN I will never understand...that is a recipe for developing headspace and ruining a rifle...Make a 300 H&H, 375, even a 338 or 300 win. but not a 270 Wby. or 7STW etc.

For what its worth I have seen many a ruined FN action from thoes rounds...I looked at one at Brockmans yesterday that a customer brought in and asked him to fix...had headspace and was ruined. It was a 7 STW that had been opened up....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Further testimonial,to abort the Mauser for any consideration of a serious rifle.

I concur and largely find them useless..........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
slancey,

I would agree with Paul in general terms. But I have been involved with quite a few that were chambered in match barrels of about number 5 contour (.72" at muzzle for 26 inch barrel) on Rem 700s of known performance and with Jewell triggers and for the finest accuracy they just don't cut it.

The moderator on the Africa forum, John S has just got a D'Arcy Echols made 300 Wby that shoots real good but that has a modified freebore.

On the other hand, if you want to use factory ammo, then the finest accuracy is probably not the goal, so the standard chamber is probably the best choice.

I can't really see how Ray (and others) separate the different calibers out on a pressure basis, especially if reloads are being used.

The action would require the same alterations for a 7mm STW as a 300 H&H. If you use the same brass in either caliber, I can't see why a 7mm STW will cause problems but a 300 H&H will not cause problems.

Unless it is case of the 7mm STW owner simply chasing higher velocities and hence higher pressures than is the case with the 300 H&H owner.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 02-09-2002).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
If you reload go for the short freebore. If you don't reload stick with the a tight standard freebore.

I have used short freebores alot and like it, but I also reload all my ammo.

JOHAN

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 02-09-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that if you want to shoot factory loads at all and especially in the 270 Wby then some freebore is necessary otherwise pressures will be excessive. It is preferable that this freebore be no more than .0005" over bullet diameter for decent accuracy. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3525 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
Further testimonial,to abort the Mauser for any consideration of a serious rifle.

I concur and largely find them useless..........

Stick, I believe you just pushed the nuke button.. ...Let's hope the dang thing malfunctions.....Abort mission, aye aye Captain!
[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 02-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 02-09-2002).]

<Big Stick>
posted
I was waiting for some colorful commentary. I did the Mauser thing years ago,they never showed me much.

I'm happy with a 700 or a S/S Ruger MKII. just simple I guess?!?................

<sure-shot>
posted
Well nothing yet so far...I guess it did malfunction

<slancey>
posted
Wow, that was some response. I understand the issues people have with opened up mauser actions, but this rifle happens to be a .300 Weatherby Mag. already, and has a burned out barrel from plenty of factory loads and handloads, with no set back or headspace problems. I don't expect target accuracy from this rifle, but I don't see how a .270 Weatherby could be worse than a .300, especially with careful handloads. But please, shoot holes in this idea, I want to leave no stone left unturned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has already been opened up, go for it. As for the freebore question, if you are ever going to shoot factory ammo in it, or sell it, you should put the factory freebore in. I own five Weatherby caliber rifles (only one is actually a Weatherby rifle though) and they all have the freebore in. And they all shoot well. They just took a little load development. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
Good morning, when Weatherby started producing factory rifles, FN was one of the actioned used. Many failed and Weatherby designed the 9 lug action they use today. FN's are increasingly collectables and make a beautiful platform for a more traditional round. If it's already been opened up for length, consider the .300 H&H. Because it hasn't failed yet, doesn't mean it won't. You simply don't have the magin for error that these rounds deserve. Think of it in terms of 4-ply Firestones on your SUV.

<PrimeTime>
posted
I like to shoot Mausers as is, original condition. I love the old 96's.
If you want to rebarrel a gun though, do a Remington, you are much better off.

<David>
posted
slancey, I have to agree with you that is shouldn't make much difference between the 270 WBY and a 300 Win Mag or 300 H&H. After looking all these up, the max pressure on all three rounds is between 62,300 and 63,800 PSI (not CUP). Most cartridges have greater than 1500 PSI shot to shot pressure variation from the same lot. If anything, the 300 H&H would have more rearward bolt thrust due to the much greater case taper and shallow shoulder angle (compared to the other two) and should be more likely to cause headspace problems at near equal pressures.