THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you help ID a set of scope rings....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a set of 7/8 inch levered rings that I thought were Talley's but aren't. These all steel rings are for a dovetail base similar in configuration to, but wider than either the new or old style of Talley bases and much wider than the old Kimber bases. I've measured across them at the narrow edges at about .551 inches when fully tightened and across the wide part of the ring clamp at .640 also when tightened. Both rings have identical dimensions however one lever tightens LH'd and one RH'd. They're very well made and have a single screw at the top in a radiused shape like levered Kimber rings. The only thing that comes to mind is the old BRNO dovetail however I can't imagine someone tooling levered 7/8 inch rings for them. Does anyone have an idea as I would appreciate any help in figuring out what they work on. Thanks...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pictures would sure help.

Posts: 19451 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking Wisner too. Here are his on my 7x57 Swede that he metaled.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These look exactly like the set I have. The wide dovetail is what's throwing me for a loop. I don't know if it's for a specific rifle or for a custom base however it now appears I should contact him if he is still in business and ask about the bases. Thanks so much for all the help.

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They look like they might be custom made by some very skilled Gunsmith, to fit that quarter rib as they appear to be very short lenthwise at the base...

I have a simular set but they have thinner, trimmer, and beautifully contoured and checkered levers. Like yours they are short lengthwise. Mine are an old set of Len Brownells. The only difference is my levers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What rifle are you trying to fit this to? I have a few sets of bases I bought from Him a while ago.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5507 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Are wisner the same a Brownells - 1". these are long gone.

Posts: 6443 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I originally thought these rings would fit on Kimber of Oregon bases however they are much too wide and don't come even close to clamping on such. I really like the 7/8 inch scopes so I could use bases for a model 70, LR 98, etc, with the key being to find bases that run something like .560 and .650 respectively across the narrow and wide portion of the dovetail. I couldn't help but wonder if they fit the BRNO integral dovetails which I think were quite wide. That's what prompted my early post. Could you tell me what your bases measure at the two width's. Thanks...

Edward Lundberg

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they would fit the old BSA rifles.

Posts: 19451 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at a 1985 Catalog that Wisner published. Pg 11 lists "Kimber/Brownells" double lever rings which are the same as pictured above. He also list "Magnum Double Leers" for extra wide dovetail .780". Jim sold off a lot of stuff a couple years back...you could contact him to see if anything left.

Anybody out there have a set of Mauser bases # 9037 front and 9036 rear(listed on pg 12). Would like to buy a set.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
They look like they might be custom made by some very skilled Gunsmith, to fit that quarter rib as they appear to be very short lenthwise at the base...

I have a simular set but they have thinner, trimmer, and beautifully contoured and checkered levers. Like yours they are short lengthwise. Mine are an old set of Len Brownells. The only difference is my levers

Ray,

Read my post. They were made by a very skilled gunsmith, Jim Wisner.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rgg_7:
I'm looking at a 1985 Catalog that Wisner published. Pg 11 lists "Kimber/Brownells" double lever rings which are the same as pictured above. He also list "Magnum Double Leers" for extra wide dovetail .780". Jim sold off a lot of stuff a couple years back...you could contact him to see if anything left.

Anybody out there have a set of Mauser bases # 9037 front and 9036 rear(listed on pg 12). Would like to buy a set.

Can't help with the mauser bases but I do have a set of bases for the pre-'64 Winchester, they are his number 2061 and 2062, still in his original package. Am I correct in assuming these are for the pre-64?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5507 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim...catalog lists your bases for Win pre64 model 70 and all post except 300 and 375 H&H. These are for the Kimber/Brownells DLB 7/16" dovetail. Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boxhead,
My rings are exactly like the Wisners except the levers are not as wide..Mine were made by Brownell himself..other than the size of the levers they are the exact..I think wisner duplicated the Brownells as I recall but beefed up the Levers and that was a good idea I suspect.

Both are excellent mounts for sure. what I really like about the Brownells and probably the Wisner or old Kimbers is the base were quite low and allowed a clear view of barrel mounted iron sights..An important issue mostly disregarded by todays mount makers with the exception of Weaver. For the buck those weavers are still damn functional.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote