New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stretching M70 Action: A Photo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stretching the M70 may be accomplished without milling the rear bridge, but it is best to do so. The longer ejection port makes ejecting loaded rounds, and empty brass, more realiable and charging the magazine is easier. Note that on a "Regular Magnum Action" such as a original 300 Win Mag, milling the rear bridge also gets rid of the front scope base screw hole in the bridge. Then just a drill & tap routine to put another hole in the bridge. I go to 8-40 for all scope base holes in the recieiver and screws for sights. After all machining is acomplished, a dip in the hot caustic tanks restores the bluing. Another point, the 300 Win Mag 'et all' magazine box with the tapered top should be replaced with a straight sided box 'a la' 416 Rem, especially if we are going to a Lott.
 -

[ 11-06-2003, 05:36: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
John,

The picture is not working for me. But I do appreciate the time you took to post it!

I still owe you an e-mail.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 10-31-2001).]

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT, some folks are asking about this milling operation.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, is the M70 Super Express action the same in this regard? I have a Lott in the works.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Great pic of how it looks....

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What a timely topic! You must have ESP. That is the exactly what I will be doing in a week or two.
How far back did you mill the rear bridge; To the rear of the scope base screw hole? Thanks John. You made my day. [Big Grin] [Wink]

[ 11-06-2003, 16:56: Message edited by: D Humbarger ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Damn John, that picture is making my eyes bleed. [Eek!]

You better get a better camera for giving away all this free advice [Big Grin]

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote