Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
This is not looking so good dpcd. Rather disparaging even. Maybe if you listed it as a .366 caliber barrel, people might think it's the newestestest and bestestest thingy on the news stands. It's all merchandising, dontchaknows !

lol

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have sold 8 of these so far; this is one that a guy backed out on; if I don't sell it, I can always use a 5th 9.3. I find that lots of guys say they like the 9.3 until it comes down to building one; then they no longer think they are so great.
Thanks for the suggestion; I might try it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 9.3's. 1 CZ and 1 I built. Your barrel is going on #3. So far the build was no problem at least no more so than a couple of others I've done. A couple of fixable glitches here and there but a darned nice end result. Love the caliber.
So my question is what's turning people off? I just don't see any real down side myself.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is no down side; the 9.3x62 is a fantastic caliber that has become totally viable within the last couple of years in terms of ammo and component availability. And a conversion is just a barrel; they always feed well with no action work. And you can't beat a .366 bullet. A lot of guys think it is some sort of magnum that is hard kicking and too powerful for US game; untrue. It is a very versatile caliber and would be better if we had a common 230 grain bullet to complement the 286s. Everyone should own a couple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly. But why stop at just a couple. SmilerSmilerSmiler
And while on the topic, it is no slouch in the accuracy area either. I've seen a lot of references to folks with factory rifles in 9.3 getting 3 shot groups in the 1 to 1.5 moa area and this being considered "Ok" for hunting.. it is of course, but in the great grand scheme of things this doesn't really impress when compared to other modern calibers.
But let me tell you... those Douglas 9.3 barrels can shoot lights out when you put them together right. I'm getting on a bit and have a cataract building in my shooting eye but used to shoot competitively. I still know how but things don't work as well as they used to. Anyway I've got a friend who shoots almost every day and is a shooting machine. He's got 100 yards in back of his house and owns a place where he sets up between 500 and 1000 yards. If I want to find out if something shoots I give it to him. My build on the last Douglas barrel gave him a .565" 5 - shot group at 100 using Prvi brass and bullets, and get this, a 2.5x Leupold. That rig will give up exactly nothing in the accuracy department.

(And lest anyone think that this might be a shameless shill for dpcd's barrel, we'll maybe it is. . He has treated me well. But it's not like he isn't selling a quality product. )

And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Yah see. All I had to do was mention the ALL NEW .366 CALIBER and people are buzzing about it already. Merchandizing son, it's all about merchandizing ! Hell, if we had Vince, from Sham-Wow working for us, we would be selling them like hot cakes. LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey just a satisfied customer here.

But now that you mention it in another thread I did suggest "Americanizing" it and calling it the ".366 Bock"... (after Otto Bock who originated it in 1905..)

Now the 9.3x57 could be called something like "Der Kartoffelnwerfer" (German?? for "potato thrower," its Swedish nickname. Sorry don't know Swedish..)

Just all kinds of things can be done to make them stick in people's minds. And that is what "marketing" does.. it makes you remember things so that subconsciously you want them.... For instance, I REALLY want a potato thrower now, even though I know the Bock is the more powerful round...

Somebody help me........Smiler