New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 48A actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone here ever made a real nice custom out of one of these actions. I looked at one last evening that was just like new, very smooth, all matching numbers. The bottom metal was nothing to get excited about but that could easily be fixed. Seems like they would make a real nice 7 x 57 or .257 Roberts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend makes a bunch of low end guns on these. He made a bunch in 338-08 for years. His 338-08 is identical to 338 Fed. He used to open up the front ring on 96 Mauser stocks but now there are semi-inlets from Boyd's and others for the 48A.

I think but am not sure that these are Zastava made? Most haven't seen combat and there are nice one's out there. This is from memory, not a verified fact!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yugo 48, 6mm Remington:

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF: The bottom metal was nothing to get excited about but that could easily be fixed. Seems like they would make a real nice 7 x 57 or .257 Roberts.

How's that? They are an intermediate action but have a longer mag box than a mex. I have about 10 hours in so far in cutting down one of Duane's guards to work with one I'm building in 350 rem mag. Other than that a swede guard will work, I converted one to hinged with a lever a few months ago for a friend 22-250 on a yugo action.
Don

Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster

Nice looking rig you have there.

Don

I was thinking of using the box that came with it, but cutting off the triggerguard and welding this one on and using the hinged floorplate, along with the bolt handle and the piece of wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then if it's matching, you have a M48, or 24-47. As the M48a used a stamped bottom metal. You plan is good except the intemediate's spring pocket is farther forward of a standard 98, so you will need to modify the mag spring or cut the pocket longer in that straddle floorplate. I had to do the same thing here when fitting one of Jim Wisner's floorplates to a yugo. After talking with Jim about the follower hanging up, he brought the spring pocket location problem to my attention.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote